5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub Woofer Selection and Why?

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
I know there are many factors with picking the correct sub woofer (enclosures, amp, limited space). The idea here is to be informative and to see what everyone else is putting in their trucks. That being said, here is my experience: I recently installed a JL Audio 12'' W3V3 4 ohm sub powered by a JL Audio JX1000/1 in a Fox Acoustics single 12'' ported box (amazing box btw.) The diver is a single 4-ohm voice coil and the amp @4-ohms puts out 500w rms. I've never used JL Audio product and to be honest I was disappointed. The sub is a great sounding sub..... if thats what you are looking for.... I like to 'feel' the low frequencies when I listen to music. And before I get flamed about an improper install or amp setting, I know what I am doing when it comes to amp/sub paring and amp gain setting (used a SMD DD1+ to set the amp). The JL W3 just couldn't produce what I was looking for, especially for the price I paid for it. My original plan was to install a Sundown SA-12 so I'm back to that, with one in route. Should be here by Friday. I'll post an update once I get it installed.

So what is everyone else using or planning on installing?

SUB (make/model):
ENCLOSURE:
Amp:

Last edited:

Clayssport

Reaction score
I had similar setup in my 4th gen, jl w3 and hertz 1dk amp. 1100wrms.. the w3s are just not worth it in my eyes.. didn't like the sound at all. I like the hertz spl shows.. the older ones if u can still find them.. sound just as good if not better than a w6.. im putting 2 in my new 5th gen.. 20200213_222247.jpg 20200213_222254.jpg

RichInMN

Reaction score
Sundown SA-12 for a long time was what I thought I'd go with - a really solid sub, good price, and relatively shallow! Can't go wrong with that choice.

In the end I went more aggressive, an Fi SSD 12 with a Crescendo 3000.1. No complaints here.
(y) 20190828_135432~2.jpg

Clayssport

Reaction score
Sundown SA-12 for a long time was what I thought I'd go with - a really solid sub, good price, and relatively shallow! Can't go wrong with that choice.

In the end I went more aggressive, an Fi SSD 12 with a Crescendo 3000.1. No complaints here.
(y) View attachment 49949
Im assuming your rear wall cover can't go back on.. lol.. thats a full wall..
Very nice

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Had a chance to install the Sundown and man this woofer pounds! The woofer is a Sundown Audio SA12rev3, duel 4ohm voice coil wired down to 2ohms. Its rated at 750wrms but can take a lot more. I am running a JX 1000/1D amp @ 2ohms pushing the sub @ 1000w. As you can see the SA is a lot more robust than the JL and from initial test it moves way more air the the JL. I also disconnected the factory woofer and found that the bass became more responsive and 'tight'. This is due to the factory and aftermarket woofer frequencies canceling and conflicting with each other. I may remove the factory setup when I sound deaden the rear wall.

Attachments

• IMG-2469.jpg
    IMG-2469.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-2473.jpg
    IMG-2473.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-2475.jpg
    IMG-2475.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 56

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score

(y) View attachment 49949
Wow. This system is impressive! I bet it sounds amazing. What did you use for sound deadening?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Wow. This system is impressive! I bet it sounds amazing. What did you use for sound deadening?
Thanks, it does the job LOL... I bought 2 boxes of Kilmat, really pleased with it:

Users who are viewing this thread