5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STP S10060XL oil filter

nbo10

Reaction score
Just changed the oil in my 2020. I wasn't paying attention when I grab a filter at the store last week and grabbed a STP S10060XL, which should fit. The filter is tiny compared to the previous Mopar filter. Does the filter size actually have an affect on performance?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just changed the oil in my 2020. I wasn't paying attention when I grab a filter at the store last week and grabbed a STP S10060XL, which should fit. The filter is tiny compared to the previous Mopar filter. Does the filter size actually have an affect on performance?
It won't effect performance, but a smaller filter means less filter material. It will fill up with debris faster than a larger one. Larger is better, just because it can trap more, before clogging. I wouldn't take it off, but I would go a shorter change interval, and buy a larger one next time.

SueHarada

Reaction score
at first, I was wondering why in hell would Ram use such a small oil filter on a big V8, and of course the location was just plain dumbass. I went ahd and used the various oil relocation kits on the market and was able to mount a much bigger filter in a spot where it could be changed super easy and no big mess all over the electronic steering. But, no matter what custom lines I had made or whatever kit had for lines, mine leaked each and every time. I had lines specifically made just for oil lines that reach psi's up to 65. I also noticed the psi went down. so, I now use the Mobil 1 M1-212A filter , slightly bigger than OEM just fits, no leaks good pressure and been using it ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread