5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storytime: How I met my RAM.

Lug57

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a quick story about some quirks from Day 1 with my RAM. Perhaps some others have experienced some of these things, or not. Anyways here it is...

I ordered my 22 BH CC 5.7 ORP Non E/T back in early '22. The day it comes in I take it out for a ride with the salesman, everything is great until we come back and park, shifting into park there's a CLUNK. It's on level ground and the sales person assures me it's cool. Mmhmm ok, i take it out again and no issue. I sign the papers and take it home. I should mention this was during early '22 when there were like 4 cars on the entire lot. I had already got rid of my previous vehicle for part of the down payment cash and was pretty much stuck with the truck, I know, kind of dumb but my old vehicle was finished and I was excited for my first MOPAR and custom ordered big boy vehicle.

After a few weeks of ownership, the transmission did a couple park "clunks" and definitely some odd and hard shifting (especially cold 1-2) as I put the miles on it. Also some weird cold starts like its not getting enough fuel or something. It'll struggle a little and then fire up. It seems to happen more with 87, I strictly use 89 now and it happens less but I can't "duplicate" it as its random. I seriously thought something was really wrong. I took it to the dealer around the 1000 mile mark and complained about the weird starts and transmission shifting. They kept it for 2 days and said nothing was wrong. A few months later it was oil change time and this stuff was still happening. I arranged for their shop foreman to ride with me and he brings a laptop and watches the live data as we're driving.

We pull over and he explains that I'm basically driving it too "nicely". He explains how I'm not giving it enough power for the pressures to be high enough for a solid shift and that I'm subconsciously lifting as i prepare for it to shift. (I developed this habit with my old car as it DID have trans flare and I was trying to not blow it up). He suggested I need to drive it with more vigor and the trans will shift better. He resets the adaptives, slowly but surely I've put about 14k on it since then and I can finally say it shifts crisp and fast now that I drive it a little harder "through" the shifts without beating it. That's new to me, The trucks I've had in the past, mostly older fords, weren't as fussy but also had slushboxes. I couldn't stand how the new ford 10 speeds shift, that led me to look at RAM.

The weird struggling cold starts continue to happen randomly. No codes, no driveability issues, I've used some fuel system cleaner et. al. but can't figure it out.
Overall I love my truck and I'll be keeping it til' the wheels fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread