5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock stereo upgrades for dummies quality vs quantity

alow

Reaction score
Hey I've got the stock stereo and I'd like to upgrade it for better quality sound. I know there are two threads on here already but alot HK and Alpine stuff gets mixed in and its hard to track (atleast for me) which is for which system. As well the mega thread with 40 pgs is a bit much to flip through and we all have different setups and taste. Mods if this is a dumb redundant thread feel free to close this and I'll just post up in one of those.

With that out of the way I'd like some advice on selecting and installing speakers for my truck. I like audio quality vs volume and rarely have my system up very high. I want to keep ANC. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about doing wiring though I havent done a car stereo in about 20 years. I normally listen to rock, metal and podcasts if that changes what kind of speakers I should get. I like hearing each instrument or track in what I'm listening to. I typically run my phone through the USB-c line / Bluetooth but sometimes do CDs. i'm fine spending a few hundred but I would like to keep it around 500 or so. From reading the other threads it sounds like my truck is set up in the following way?

Center - no
Corner dash - replace 1x per side
Front and rear door panels - replace 1x per door
Amp-no
Sub-no

What tools and speakers should I look into? From reading the other threads I understand theres a plastic panel popping kit which I'd happily invest in.

I've heard alot about these Kickers , i've read they are bright and tinny so I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for

but I'd buy these Infinity references if that would be better.

Is it just a 1 for 1 swap after popping the panels or do I need change out the wiring once I'm in there?

Also The above will only work for the dash and center correct? The door panels I believe I read are 6x9? Any suggestions for those?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
Hey I've got the stock stereo and I'd like to upgrade it for better quality sound. I know there are two threads on here already but alot HK and Alpine stuff gets mixed in and its hard to track (atleast for me) which is for which system. As well the mega thread with 40 pgs is a bit much to flip through and we all have different setups and taste. Mods if this is a dumb redundant thread feel free to close this and I'll just post up in one of those.

With that out of the way I'd like some advice on selecting and installing speakers for my truck. I like audio quality vs volume and rarely have my system up very high. I want to keep ANC. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about doing wiring though I havent done a car stereo in about 20 years. I normally listen to rock, metal and podcasts if that changes what kind of speakers I should get. I like hearing each instrument or track in what I'm listening to. I typically run my phone through the USB-c line / Bluetooth but sometimes do CDs. i'm fine spending a few hundred but I would like to keep it around 500 or so. From reading the other threads it sounds like my truck is set up in the following way?

Center - no
Amp-no
Sub-no

What tools and speakers should I look into? From reading the other threads I understand theres a plastic panel popping kit which I'd happily invest in.

I've heard alot about these Kickers , i've read they are bright and tinny so I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for

Is it just a 1 for 1 swap after popping the panels or do I need change out the wiring once I'm in there?

Also The above will only work for the dash and center correct? The door panels I believe I read are 6x9? Any suggestions for those?

The inifintys are overkill on the stock head unit. Buy some cheap kickers and do what this guy did.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Center - no
Amp-no
Sub-no

I have the Alpine and went with the 3032s on the corner dash. Could not be happier with the sound. I may do the center with the same speaker soon.
Really great upgrade for about $80. Crutchfield is the way to go. They send you everything you need for the install for free (step by step PDF and adapters for the factory connectors).

Only tool I had to get that I did not have was a small 90 deg Phillips screwdriver to get the speakers out. If you have that and a plastic trim tool, you're golden.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
I have the Alpine and went with the 3032s on the corner dash. Could not be happier with the sound. I may do the center with the same speaker soon.
Really great upgrade for about $80. Crutchfield is the way to go. They send you everything you need for the install for free (step by step PDF and adapters for the factory connectors).

Only tool I had to get that I did not have was a small 90 deg Phillips screwdriver to get the speakers out. If you have that and a plastic trim tool, you're golden.

Hes on stock head unit power, no amp. He will not get the same results. Also, a 1/4" ratchet works just as good as there a 6mm head i believe.

alow

Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like I should talk to crutchfield and see what the best options are.

Gozar

Reaction score
I bought and installed the Kicker CSC35 speakers in my dash on a stock package - 8.4 Nav. While they sound very good with a clean source the treble from SiriusXM is so high I just ordered the Infinity 3032fx and will give them a try. I do tend to listen to XM channels quite often so it is worth trying it. Once that is done I will upgrade all 4 door speakers, not sure yet which. I tend to like lossless WMA or CD for good audio quality and I have to imagine that the Infinity will sound better than the Kicker even with the stock head unit.
At home I listen to Tidal MQA using a Bluesound Node 2i through a Rotel RA-1570 and a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 speakers, a real treat for the ears. I don't need that level in my truck but a have to upgrade the stock speakers a little........forgive the mess, still trying to unpack from a move.

alow

Reaction score
Good to know and thanks for the feedback on those specific speakers. I normally do music from my phone via usbc Hardline but I do CDs every now and then. I'm willing to buy once cry once within reason if it gives me good results on the infinity reference vs the kickers.

Users who are viewing this thread