5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock sized spare with larger tires?

killerformula

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have the truck in my signature, and my truck is just about due for tires. I am thinking I would like to go up a size or two as the stock tires leave quite a bit of space in the wheel well. I have never used the spare and would like to just keep it in place for the time being. It's only a couple years old.

I have an electronic locking rear end on the truck. My question is, if I were to have to use the spare with other tires that are larger, I am assuming it would be fine as long as I don't lock the rear. Am I correct in that assumption? Also, for the front diff, are any of these trucks limited slip in the front, or would I otherwise have any problem using the smaller spare on the front as long as I did not engage 4 wheel?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

I am familiar with what you are asking but new to the Ram. For example, Subaru specifically states different spare tire sizes can damage differentials. Same with my Mustang and spares are set up as same diameters (or very close) for the same reason. I looked the the Ram manual and it mentions nothing about this in reference to using the spare or mini spare. That s all I got. I don t see an issue but it s wise you look into it before the emergency arrises. Subscribed.

It shouldn't make a difference since you don't have positraction. You are correct that you don't want to engage the electronic locking diff. The front end is not limited slip but you still don't want to use 4WD unless you're on something really soft and loose like mud or sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back