5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stereo and dash button on steering wheel stop working

Ti-jodenis10

Reaction score
Hello 2 day ago my left side button for dash menu stop worked also the back light didn’t work. The rear button for stereo control also doesn’t work. But horn work no light for airbag and cruise control work and backlight too gear button work well anyone got an idea??

Bonsaihorn

Reaction score
Sometimes my rear buttons don't work on the steering wheel either, for volume or channel control... usually will be working after I cycle power so I write it off as a gremlin. We have to choose our battles!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All we can do is guess. Switch assembly, or clock-spring. No info on truck, so hard to say more.

Ti-jodenis10

Reaction score
This is a picture a took tonight you see back light didn’t work on left and those at rear also don’t work IMG_4091.jpeg

barrak

Reaction score
Hello 2 day ago my left side button for dash menu stop worked also the back light didn’t work. The rear button for stereo control also doesn’t work. But horn work no light for airbag and cruise control work and backlight too gear button work well anyone got an idea??
Any updates? I'm having the same issue with my 2023 1500 Longhorn for a couple of weeks now. Buttons at left and back of wheel inoperative. Horn, Cruise, Gear Limiter OK.

It's a bummer as I cannot access my Tazer DT without an active Left button on the left side of the wheel.

Loudram

Reaction score
You may have to remove your steering wheel or at least your covers and check the wiring connections.

On my 4th gen Express I added the rear stereo controls to the steering wheel and if it's a similar set up to the 5th gens, there are a few connectors in addition to the clock spring that could be causing the issue.

barrak

Reaction score
Any updates? I'm having the same issue with my 2023 1500 Longhorn for a couple of weeks now. Buttons at left and back of wheel inoperative. Horn, Cruise, Gear Limiter OK.

It's a bummer as I cannot access my Tazer DT without an active Left button on the left side of the wheel.

Update:
Just picked up my truck from the dealer awaiting parts which are 4 weeks out. Diagnosis was "Found SCCM Fault Part Ordered". This would be the Steering Column Control Module, which I assume, for the RAM 1500, is the same thing as the clockspring.

They also diagnosed a non-functioning steering wheel heater as "Heating Element in Steering Wheel Fault Parts Ordered".

Not sure if they just read some codes through a shop scanner or they actually disassembled the steering wheel to check the wiring/ground integrity underneath the airbag. We'll see.

Oh, and they also performed an 08A factory recall: "Flashed PCM from 05149600AD to 05149600AE". Not sure what that's about.

barrak

Reaction score
Update:
Just picked up my truck from the dealer awaiting parts which are 4 weeks out. Diagnosis was "Found SCCM Fault Part Ordered". This would be the Steering Column Control Module, which I assume, for the RAM 1500, is the same thing as the clockspring.

They also diagnosed a non-functioning steering wheel heater as "Heating Element in Steering Wheel Fault Parts Ordered".

Not sure if they just read some codes through a shop scanner or they actually disassembled the steering wheel to check the wiring/ground integrity underneath the airbag. We'll see.

Oh, and they also performed an 08A factory recall: "Flashed PCM from 05149600AD to 05149600AE". Not sure what that's about.
Finally got my clockspring replaced at the dealer today. Now all steering wheel functions are operating again, as well as the steering wheel heater.

Official diagnosis: "Found all steering wheel controls Inop. Found SCCM data not showing commands for steering wheel controls. Removed driver air bag and found no voltage coming out of SCCM. SCCM has internal fault. Replaced SCCM." Part number replaced was 68545657AB Switch-Multifunction.

Users who are viewing this thread