5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel resets off Center

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
Hey RamFam,

Had this happen to me tonight and will be going to the dealer tomorrow to see if a tech can look at it ASAP. But I wanted to consult with all of you to see if I can go tomorrow afternoon armed with some additional knowledge.

I was out running some errands and noticed that my steering wheel has started to reset to 11 o’clock instead of dead center (or close to it) like it used to.

See video: https://youtube.com/shorts/Qot0cX4CH74?feature=share

Truck seemingly drives straight when it’s in that position, so I do not believe it to be an alignment issue moreso than a steering wheel issue. Also of note the wheel doesn’t make any clunks or odd noises.

Could this be related to needing tie rod end or drag link adjustments? Electric power steering?

Truck was built in October 2020, I’ve had it since November 2, 2020. 2021 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 3.21 gears.

Front toe determines steering wheel center. Basically it's off side to side.

Hitting a pot hole or similar can knock it out.

Something ain't right. Maybe you're one of those lucky guys with a ball-joint that wasn't tightened all the way? Or you ran over something and it bent a tie-rod. Or a control arm. A tire low enough to do that would set off the TPMS light, so it's probably not something simple like that.

But steering wheels don't just shift from 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock.

Mine sits off center to the opposite side and not as pronounced. It makes me crazy - had the dealer perform an alignment and it corrected the issue, for a awhile. Back to sitting off center. I think there was a thread on this and the only thing I remember was that they guy fought tooth and nail and finally had Ram buy the truck back from him because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back