5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel off-center after cold start

simplelife

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know there are other threads about steering wheel off-center. But my case is different. I noticed that the steering wheel shifted to left about 20 degree, and the truck will go left. This seems only happen at the beginning of a cold start and low speed (below 10mph). After it’s running a few minutes, and hitting 30-40mph, the steering wheel is straight and truck goes straight with no problems. Anyone has the similar issue or has any idea about this? Should I take it to the dealership? I’m just afraid they will make a small issue a big problem.
Here is my truck info:
2019 ram 1500 big horn crew cab 4x4
Build date: 12/07/18

Futta112

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know there are other threads about steering wheel off-center. But my case is different. I noticed that the steering wheel shifted to left about 20 degree, and the truck will go left. This seems only happen at the beginning of a cold start and low speed (below 10mph). After it’s running a few minutes, and hitting 30-40mph, the steering wheel is straight and truck goes straight with no problems. Anyone has the similar issue or has any idea about this? Should I take it to the dealership? I’m just afraid they will make a small issue a big problem.
Here is my truck info:
2019 ram 1500 big horn crew cab 4x4
Build date: 12/07/18

My rebel does it also

davidn0021

Reaction score
I just noticed this the other day as well! I don't remote start and I'm wondering if there's some odd alignment issue..

Futta112

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I just purchased this truck 3 weeks ago. Just wondering how long do you have your truck? Do you notice this issue getting better or worse over time?

Currently 3500 miles. Been that way the whole time. Hasn’t gotten any worse.

simplelife

Reaction score
I just noticed this the other day as well! I don't remote start and I'm wondering if there's some odd alignment issue..
I just feel it strange that it seems only happen during the first few minutes after cold start. I’m not an mechanical expert but I guess if it has bad alignment, it maybe always perform that way instead of just a short time period after start.

simplelife

Reaction score
It seems it happens at low temperature. When outside is warm, the steering wheel is fine.

Futta112

Reaction score
I just feel it strange that it seems only happen during the first few minutes after cold start. I’m not an mechanical expert but I guess if it has bad alignment, it maybe always perform that way instead of just a short time period after start.

If it was alignment, it should be all the time. When I go in for a oil change, I’ll bring it up to dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKHemiLar

Reaction score
Hoping to revive this thread so see if anyone had any success in a fix for this or if anyone’s noticed it getting worse. I’m having similar problems on my truck that currently has 22,248 miles.

Same drifting to left most noticeable at low speeds and only when cold but not on every start. It’s infrequent enough that I can’t nail down exactly when it happens but once I start driving around for a few minutes it goes away especially after I hit around 30mph. I first noticed it when it dropped below 20°f here and again today at 1°f but I never had an issue or symptom above that.

Build date: 4-21

Users who are viewing this thread