5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Concern

Einstein376

Reaction score
My new to me 2019 RAM Laramie at freeway speed while turning (left or right) has the steering “fall” into the turn while holding the steering wheel steady following the curve. This causes the truck to turn in sharper then it should based on the amount of steeering input.

My search of the forum did not find a similar issue and I was looking for thoughts before trying to describe the issue to my dealer.

Thanks,

Jim

Drewster

Reaction score
Sounds like the power steering assist is irregular? There was a post somewhere else about a loose ground on the (electric) power steering causing issues

Einstein376

Reaction score
Update:

After having the dealer look at the problem, they ordered a replacement steering rack for the truck. Of course this was backordered for nearly a month. The replacement seems to have solved the problem and the dealer said was not first time they have dealt with the the same issue.

FWIW, the two replacement mirrors were backordered also as both had broken teeth on the motors. Seems Mopar has issues with their supply chain on parts.

Jim

armymp1130

Reaction score
Update:

After having the dealer look at the problem, they ordered a replacement steering rack for the truck. Of course this was backordered for nearly a month. The replacement seems to have solved the problem and the dealer said was not first time they have dealt with the the same issue.

FWIW, the two replacement mirrors were backordered also as both had broken teeth on the motors. Seems Mopar has issues with their supply chain on parts.

Jim
How did they figure out it was the steering rack i am having the same issue and anything would help so i can inform dealer since they never like to work

saylor

Reaction score
in the old days on top of the power steering pump is a little valvey thingy that you set dead center - it controls the left / right balance of the assist pressure.

dont have your arm thru the steering wheel when you start the car after changing the pump :)

and the first test drive you keep it slow so it doesnt sling you into a ditch from overbalance to one side.

now, who tf knows what the computer is doing. replace it while looking at the ikea looking manual. troubleshooting is gone.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update:

Jim
My rack and pinion was replaced at 3900 miles, truck had many issues I believe. As far as the rack and pinion goes, they said the computer was telling truck to do one thing, but steering would do something else, chewed tires up. Truck had a vibration since day one and wouldn’t hold balance, was balanced 7 times in 8000 miles. At 7800 the front axles were replaced. I still had tire, balance and vibration issues. Dealer tired, new tires, rims, drive shaft and many other new parts with no fix. I finally got ram to buy it back! I hope the rack replacement fixes your issue. If not, have them check the front axles, my dealer told me, they know they had problems with the front axles also😩

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did they figure out it was the steering rack i am having the same issue and anything would help so i can inform dealer since they never like to work
Have them check the front axles also, my dealer replaced mine and I guess ram knows they have issues with the rack and axles! However none of these fixed my issue. Good luck!

Einstein376

Reaction score
They said mine was one of several they had seen with the same issue, not sure how they decided on which part to replace.

armymp1130

Reaction score
They said mine was one of several they had seen with the same issue, not sure how they decided on which part to replace.
after my 6th alignment i had gotten underneath the other day to make sure everything was tight because of my steering issue and noticed my cv axles had play up and down and in and out but not sure if that would cause my steering to be sloppy

whalesalad

Reaction score
Which dealer in MI did you visit for this? I need a dealer who has experience with this issue. I am in Detroit but tbh I will go anywhere in the state to get this resolved it drives me bananas. Feels so inconsistent/goofy/squirrely, especially in winter/icy roads.

Einstein376

Reaction score
Which dealer in MI did you visit for this? I need a dealer who has experience with this issue. I am in Detroit but tbh I will go anywhere in the state to get this resolved it drives me bananas. Feels so inconsistent/goofy/squirrely, especially in winter/icy roads.
Champion, Lansing

Users who are viewing this thread