5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting problem

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it have a rough idle or seem higher than normal at any time? Kind of sounds like a vacuum leak.
I wouldn’t rule out a bad ground either.
no it definetly is not the vaccum brake booster,or rough idle.once started it runs fine.show no signs of any malfunctioning.

Barryh22

Reaction score
I have not. But I remember a nightmare car we had in the shop a few years ago with similar complaints. It turned out to be the aftermarket alarm -- dealer installed -- that tapped into the serial bus. It would short it intermittently and stop all communications between modules, so the antitheft (chip in key fob reader) wouldn't tell the ECM it was okay to start, so it wouldn't.
Hi I had an aftermarket alarm on a 2020 Ram 1500 and took it out and tried to install an aftermarket remote start and it seemed to short everything out where my key fob won’t work with door locks or the push to start and my back wheels are locked up. It’s been at the dealer and they don’t have a clue. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Barry

Barryh22

Reaction score
I have not. But I remember a nightmare car we had in the shop a few years ago with similar complaints. It turned out to be the aftermarket alarm -- dealer installed -- that tapped into the serial bus. It would short it intermittently and stop all communications between modules, so the antitheft (chip in key fob reader) wouldn't tell the ECM it was okay to start, so it wouldn't.
U ever get this fixed?
No at the dealer now

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tow driver had to call someone for advise on moving the truck out of my garage. He did receive a call and popped open a panel, left of the steering wheel to pull a lever which unlocked the wheels. Thanks for your response!
For those that do not know, this shift lockout video may come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/