5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starlink mini USB-C connection

mtjag

Reaction score
I'm guessing the USB connections located under the radio and in the rear console are not USB-C. I'm trying to figure out where to plug in my 12v DC adapter from my Starlink mini inside my RAM. Anyone got suggestions? Also, does anyone use their Starlink mini just sitting on the dash?

I'm guessing the USB connections located under the radio and in the rear console are not USB-C. I'm trying to figure out where to plug in my 12v DC adapter from my Starlink mini inside my RAM. Anyone got suggestions? Also, does anyone use their Starlink mini just sitting on the dash?
I have both USB-A and USB-C on my 2020.

Are yours labeled? I have two up front and two behind but nothing is labeled as such. It sure would be great if one was a USB-C.
If you can't tell, best not to plug anything into them. There are both standard USB, and USB-C ports.

USB-A ports are rectangular with square corners. A plastic piece will also block about half of the port.
USB-C ports are smaller than USB-A ports and are rectangular with rounded corners and no blocking piece. This is also the same shape of port on most recently released/produced cell phones for charging/data sharing. Please take a look there and compare it with the information above.

BlueHemi1500

USB-A ports are rectangular with square corners. A plastic piece will also block about half of the port.
USB-C ports are smaller than USB-A ports and are rectangular with rounded corners and no blocking piece. This is also the same shape of port on most recently released/produced cell phones for charging/data sharing. Please take a look there and compare it with the information above.

BlueHemi150

I suppose I exposed my ignorance about USB ports, but I thank you for that clarification. I thought those ports didn't have the wattage requirement (100W 20V, 5A )to power the Starlink and were just for phone charging. That solves my issue of running our new Starlink mini in the truck! Thanks again!

i highly doubt those ports push enough juice to run starlink.

but even if they do I wouldn't run anything power demanding to the factory ports. i much rather run a direct fused power from the battery and body ground it than have something power hungry go through the computer controlled ports. that's what i do for all overland build customers who want to run power demanding stuff like starlink and fridge.

Not even close, 5 volts at 3 amps if lucky.
The 120 vac outlet can handle about 400 watts, could he plug into that with an ac to dc power supply that conforms to the USB-C PD3.0 standard?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back