5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker Swap

Quint

Reaction score
I wanted to get Infinity Reference 9633ix speakers. When I worked with Crutchfield those were on backorder. They convinced me to try some JBL 9631 6x9s that were apparently the same specs as the Infinity 6x9s. When I pulled out the factory speakers and put them next to the new JBLs, they looked identical (see pics below). The magnets were the exact same size. The sound (paired with my 10" Rockford Fosgate sub) is better but I still feel like I'm relying too much on my sub to hear bass. I was expecting more for these $100/pair speakers.

For those that got the Infinity 9633ix speakers, was there a good improvement in overall sound quality and bass? Are there any door speakers (regardless of price) that really blew anyone away with quality?

I'm trying to decide if I should swap those out or just bite the bullet and buy an amp for the door speakers.

speakers 001.JPG

speakers 002.JPG

speakers 003.JPG

speakers 004.JPG

xxxtreme81

Reaction score
Just added an amp for the speakers and bypassed the anc made a huge difference for me. I'm running the factory speakers till they blow with and amp and they scream.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
Just added an amp for the speakers and bypassed the anc made a huge difference for me. I'm running the factory speakers till they blow with and amp and they scream.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
What amp did you go with? I can't imagine the door speakers need a ton of extra power.

Quint

Reaction score
Has anyone else added an amp for the door speakers? If so, which one?

As for baffles, are you talking about a sound deadener like Dynamat?

D-dub

Reaction score
Speaker baffles are a molded foam that covers the back of the speaker. They will work well keeping moisture away from the speaker, but the down side is that the baffles kill bass response. The baffle acts like a small sealed enclosure. So your bass response will suffer. If you decide to use them, I'd cut some of the back of the baffle so the speaker can do what it supposed to.

Quint

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I'm looking to get better bass out of the door speakers so baffles sound like the wrong direction for me. I appreciate the response.

Quint

Reaction score
Utilizing Crutchfield's awesome exchange policy, I had them send me the Infinity Reference 9633ix speakers that I originally wanted. They have gotten good reviews from other Ram owners on this forum. Below are some pictures of the old and new speakers. The magnets are a full inch bigger than the stock and JBL speakers. Once I put them in the doors, I could tell the sound difference. They definitely have better bass but also have better treble because of the little 0dB to +3dB button that lets you increase the tweeter response. I am much happier with the Infinity speakers.

Hopefully this post helps somebody else who is considering swapping out their door speakers.

Stock speaker on the left, JBL 9631 concert series in the middle, Infinity Reference 9633ix on the right:
Speaker 1.jpg

Stock speaker magnet is 3" in diameter
Speaker 2.jpg

JBL speaker magnet is 3" in diameter
Speaker 3.jpg

Infinity speaker magnet is 4" in diameter
Speaker 4.jpg

FishOn

Reaction score
Amp will make the biggest difference, regardless of stock vs. aftermarket speakers.
Get a small 4ch (or 5ch if you're running a sub, like a lot of us), bypass the ANC, and it'll improve sound from top to bottom.

I thought there was some concern with certain 6x9s, in regards to depth... Will those Boom Mat things clear the window tracks/path?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought there was some concern with certain 6x9s, in regards to depth... Will those Boom Mat things clear the window tracks/path?
I would think so since he says they sound good.

Crutchfield says they'll fit and measure 3 1/8" for top mount. IIRC OEM 6x9 is also 3 1/8" top mount.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amp will make the biggest difference, regardless of stock vs. aftermarket speakers.
Get a small 4ch (or 5ch if you're running a sub, like a lot of us), bypass the ANC, and it'll improve sound from top to bottom.

so even if if i just change the amp i would be better off? and is thier anyway to change the factory amp for alp system?

Users who are viewing this thread