5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire

STR

Reaction score
When installing a Borla exhaust a few weeks ago on my 2020 Rebel I dropped the spare so that I could snake the OEM exhaust out. I noticed that the spare was a Falcon 275/65/18 (32.1”) on a on steel rim, which is 1.1” smaller than my OEM DuraTrac 275/70/18 (33.2”). Why would Ram provide a smaller spare tire, especially on a truck that is equipped with an electronically locking rear differential? Obviously it’s only suppose to be used in an emergency, but having a spare that’s the same height as the OEM tire would’ve been nice. Looks like I’ll be buying an extra DuraTrac to mount on my steel rim. Who do I send the bill to... FCA, RamCare, or NobodyCares? ;)

Edit: Falken, not Falcon.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
RAM likely did it for cost reasons as the extra for the bigger rim/tire is just more cost for no gain. Yes I’d agree that overall tire diameter should match for “best practices” usage. The only other consideration is that you’d have to remember that the e-locker just shouldn’t be used in that situation.

Are you considering a 5 tire rotation? Otherwise a spare, while good to have, usually just dry rots away. (I had a 1998 Honda CRV with the original spare under a tire cover. I finally changed it out in 2016 because it probably wouldn’t have held up to use and no tire shop would touch it.)

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
Didn’t you get the window sticker with your build on it?
That should be listed on it.
Yes, I have the window sticker. No, a 275/65/18 spare is not listed. Is it listed on your window sticker?

STR

Reaction score
RAM likely did it for cost reasons as the extra for the bigger rim/tire is just more cost for no gain. Yes I’d agree that overall tire diameter should match for “best practices” usage. The only other consideration is that you’d have to remember that the e-locker just shouldn’t be used in that situation.

Are you considering a 5 tire rotation? Otherwise a spare, while good to have, usually just dry rots away. (I had a 1998 Honda CRV with the original spare under a tire cover. I finally changed it out in 2016 because it probably wouldn’t have held up to use and no tire shop would touch it.)

I agree, and as mentioned, it’s for an emergency. Hopefully nobody will be using the elocker it that situation. A 275/70/18 will fit it the steel rim, and it doesn’t have to be a DuraTrac... a simlair height Falcon tire would’ve been fine... and it’ll fit in the spare tire cavity.

I’m certainly not losing sleep over it, and I will remedy, but it’s nonsensical to have a shorter spare paired with the OEM set-up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the benefits of the Off-Road Group is that it comes with a full-size spare on an aluminum wheel.

But the window sticker simply says “full size spare”; it doesn’t list a size.

When I look at the build sheet, I find it lists “18” aluminum spare wheel” and “full size spare tire”...no separate dimension is given beyond the primary tires (Falken 275/55R20 OWL All-Terrain Tires).

Guess I’ll have to look underneath again...

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
It’s also on the tire/load sticker in the driver door

Yeah, it’s posted on the tire/load sticker in the driver door. When buying a truck in Canada, do Canadians look for the spare tire size in the door jam before making a purchase? It’s also printed on the tire under the truck. You can look there too...

STR

Reaction score
One of the benefits of the Off-Road Group is that it comes with a full-size spare on an aluminum wheel.

But the window sticker simply says “full size spare”; it doesn’t list a size.

When I look at the build sheet, I find it lists “18” aluminum spare wheel” and “full size spare tire”...no separate dimension is given beyond the primary tires (Falken 275/55R20 OWL All-Terrain Tires).

Guess I’ll have to look underneath again...

It doesn’t appear to be an aluminum wheel either. It’s a painted steel wheel where rust has formed in several areas.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s posted on the tire/load sticker in the driver door. When buying a truck in Canada, do Canadians look for the spare tire size in the door jam before making a purchase? It’s also printed on the tire under the truck. You can look there too...

No I’m simply pointing out there were mutltiple ways to find out before crawling under the truck.... or agreeing to buy it...

U

User_3336

Better then a "tire inflator kit", that's included in most FCA cars now. (Dodge/Chrysler)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn’t appear to be an aluminum wheel either. It’s a painted steel wheel where rust has formed in several areas.
Because you don’t have the Off-Road Group, presumably.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, and as mentioned, it’s for an emergency. Hopefully nobody will be using the elocker it that situation. A 275/70/18 will fit it the steel rim, and it doesn’t have to be a DuraTrac... a simlair height Falcon tire would’ve been fine... and it’ll fit in the spare tire cavity.

I’m certainly not losing sleep over it, and I will remedy, but it’s nonsensical to have a shorter spare paired with the OEM set-up.
I just checked my door sticker, and it lists a 275/65R18 spare, as you said. So that’s 32.07” dia vs my 275/55R20 primary tires (31.91” dia). That’s pretty close, especially if tire pressures vary!

STR

Reaction score
Better then a "tire inflator kit", that's included in most FCA cars now. (Dodge/Chrysler)

Not just FCA, but most cars... Had the inflator solution dry up in a GT500 and it was useless when needed. My neighbor had a similar experience w/his Camaro. Some of those kits cost more than a spare, and it also serves to reduce weight in higher performance cars. Nonetheless, a spare for a truck is certainly better(y)
Its for emergency

Yeah, already acknowledged in post 1 & 7
I just checked my door sticker, and it lists a 275/65R18 spare, as you said. So that’s 32.07” dia vs my 275/55R20 primary tires (31.91” dia). That’s pretty close, especially if tire pressures vary!

Negligible difference. Shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread