5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire hanger with aftermarket wheel - Is this safe?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How did you manage to fit the 34.6" spare tire underneath? I'm on a similar boat to see if I can do fit a 285/65/R20 (34.6x11.2) spare.
It took some work. A friend helped me remove about 1/8-1/4” from the inside of the hitch receiver with an able grinder.

I also have the 6’4” bed, which based on some other reports here, may have slightly more room between the heat shield and the hitch receiver, though I haven’t confirmed that.

BAD508BF-F947-4CB5-B1D0-5DD59E81538B.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took some work. A friend helped me remove about 1/8-1/4” from the inside of the hitch receiver with an able grinder.

I also have the 6’4” bed, which based on some other reports here, may have slightly more room between the heat shield and the hitch receiver, though I haven’t confirmed that.

View attachment 149472
would that weaken your hitch ? just wondering. honestly

tabber02

Reaction score
been thinking about doing this since throwing the 35s on. but still wrestle with under the bed or in the bed… space is the issue. i’ve got a decked system and kicking around tonneau covers. the spare on the decked would sit above the bed.

i bit that bullet with the decision on my 2500 and the 37s, but i just strapped the spare in the bed, also with a decked system but i had a camper shell. can’t do that now—i don’t plan to put a cap on the back.

ah the fun of tinkering…

Users who are viewing this thread