5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone break it down for me please

Mason1217

Reaction score
Ok, go easy on me here, 1st time in my life owning a truck, I come from stupid winter weather cars like mustangs, Camaros, Scat Paks so be gentle. If I’m in 4wd auto and leave traction control on, how is this different from any other vehicle? If no wheels have traction in snow or ice you will barely move anywhere right? I’m confused on the setups for different conditions? Here is my thoughts, please correct me if I’m an idiot lol.
Ice/freezing rain: 4 auto, traction control on
Actively snowing: 4 auto, traction off.
Heavy/deep snow: 4hi, traction off.
Can’t move at all: 4low, traction off.
A couple of points I’m not clear on, max speed in 4hi? And if in 4 auto or 4 hi, when you hold tsc off for longer than normal, stability control also shuts off, in what condition would I want stability control off?
I guess my thoughts are in snow, dont I want all 4 tires trying to dig for traction? Why would I get a 4wd truck to have power going to 2 or 3 wheels with traction control on? Ok, go....

Mason1217

Reaction score
Search the word traction and a good long one will come up.

We gor into a pretty good one there with all sorts of input.
Ok thanks, I tried searching but I was trying to use like “four wheel drive” and stuff so I must have missed it. Thanks.

S

Smashy71

It
Ok, go easy on me here, 1st time in my life owning a truck, I come from stupid winter weather cars like mustangs, Camaros, Scat Paks so be gentle. If I’m in 4wd auto and leave traction control on, how is this different from any other vehicle? If no wheels have traction in snow or ice you will barely move anywhere right? I’m confused on the setups for different conditions? Here is my thoughts, please correct me if I’m an idiot lol.
Ice/freezing rain: 4 auto, traction control on
Actively snowing: 4 auto, traction off.
Heavy/deep snow: 4hi, traction off.
Can’t move at all: 4low, traction off.
A couple of points I’m not clear on, max speed in 4hi? And if in 4 auto or 4 hi, when you hold tsc off for longer than normal, stability control also shuts off, in what condition would I want stability control off?
I guess my thoughts are in snow, dont I want all 4 tires trying to dig for traction? Why would I get a 4wd truck to have power going to 2 or 3 wheels with traction control on? Ok, go....

It’s perfectly fine to leave it in 4wd auto but it just means more things will wear faster. If you need 4wd all the time that’s when you want to lock it in. So if it’s slick out in spots it’s a good idea to leave it in 4wd auto. If it’s balls deep snow low traction then full time is the right time. I drove my 2014 ram in 4wd auto all the time. Didn’t do it any harm.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trick with 4HI/4LO is, as much, what NOT to do; you can damage your truck.

Traction control... imo... leave it on and forget it. It's an excellent system so just let it do its' thing.

How does 4AUTO differ... when roads are slick... allows you to drag race much faster cars from a stoplight and WIN!

cory1223oh

Reaction score
I'd leave traction control on all the time unless you're intentionally trying to spin your tires. Use 4Auto for added safety anytime the road is not dry (e.g. raining, snowing, slick spots, etc.). 4Hi is for when you're on consistently slippery surfaces like offroading, fully snow covered roads with no dry spots, deep snow. You shouldn't use 4Hi if there is good traction as you can bind the system and cause damage. 4Lo gives you additional lower gearing and mechanical advantage and is for slower speed offroading, when you are nearly stuck, pulling people out of the ditch, pulling stumps, etc. and you shouldn't go very fast in 4Lo.

tl;dr 2WD when conditions are dry, 4Auto when in doubt. Don't use 4Hi or 4Lo unless you know you need to.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'd leave traction control on all the time unless you're intentionally trying to spin your tires. Use 4Auto for added safety anytime the road is not dry (e.g. raining, snowing, slick spots, etc.). 4Hi is for when you're on consistently slippery surfaces like offroading, fully snow covered roads with no dry spots, deep snow. You shouldn't use 4Hi if there is good traction as you can bind the system and cause damage. 4Lo gives you additional lower gearing and mechanical advantage and is for slower speed offroading, when you are nearly stuck, pulling people out of the ditch, pulling stumps, etc. and you shouldn't go very fast in 4Lo.

tl;dr 2WD when conditions are dry, 4Auto when in doubt. Don't use 4Hi or 4Lo unless you know you need to.
Spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread