5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED USB Stick Not Registering

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found out an interesting fact at the dealer today. One of the issues I told them when I dropped it off was that I couldn't get my USB sticks to read in the USB hub. My wireless carplay works fine. I plugged in my wife's iphone since her phone isn't paired and it read her phone just fine. I tried 4 different USB drives and they all reported "device error". I left all the USB drives in the truck and the tech checked them out. He said that they are all formatted incorrectly (including the one I used to use in 2015 Charger R/T and the one in my wife's 2017 Pacifica). It turns out that the sticks need to be formatted as FAT32 and the USB drives I had were formatted as exFAT. I reformatted the one I want to use for my music, reloaded it, and it works. So, bottom line, if you have a USB drive that isn't reading in your truck, check the formatting and see if that's the issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found out an interesting fact at the dealer today. One of the issues I told them when I dropped it off was that I couldn't get my USB sticks to read in the USB hub. My wireless carplay works fine. I plugged in my wife's iphone since her phone isn't paired and it read her phone just fine. I tried 4 different USB drives and they all reported "device error". I left all the USB drives in the truck and the tech checked them out. He said that they are all formatted incorrectly (including the one I used to use in 2015 Charger R/T and the one in my wife's 2017 Pacifica). It turns out that the sticks need to be formatted as FAT32 and the USB drives I had were formatted as exFAT. I reformatted the one I want to use for my music, reloaded it, and it works. So, bottom line, if you have a USB drive that isn't reading in your truck, check the formatting and see if that's the issue.
That's pretty standard for USB drives in vehicles. Most come already formatted in fat32 from the factory

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty standard for USB drives in vehicles. Most come already formatted in fat32 from the factory
Well, I thought so too. But the new compact 128Gb drive I bought in March just for the truck was formatted exFAT. I will say that after reformatting to FAT32, the drive is noticeably slower. I'm fairly computer-savvy having built a few pcs over the years, but I guess I'm as current on the tech as I want to be. Next thing you know, I'll be asking my college-age daughter tech questions, just like my mother used to ask me. Another day closer to getting old I guess...

Limited Legend

Reaction score
Well, I thought so too. But the new compact 128Gb drive I bought in March just for the truck was formatted exFAT. I will say that after reformatting to FAT32, the drive is noticeably slower. I'm fairly computer-savvy having built a few pcs over the years, but I guess I'm as current on the tech as I want to be. Next thing you know, I'll be asking my college-age daughter tech questions, just like my mother used to ask me. Another day closer to getting old I guess...
Mine seem to boot up pretty fast, they also came as exFAT out of the package. Are you playing Flacs?

IP CMDR

Reaction score
New to forums like this. 2024 Ram Laramie. 12" uconnect system. 19 speakers. I had a 128Gb stick with USB A on one end and USB C on the other. Loaded it up with music, and it plays music fine. (It did take some time to load the music though) I wanted something a little more compact so I bought a Sandisk as well as a Samsung compact usb sticks. Both loaded with the same files as the one stick that does work. The compact flash drives will not play. 'Device Read' error. One compact is a 3.2 and the other is 3.1. The drive that plays is 3.1. The compacts drives are formatted in exFat32. Tried to change to Fat32 and I don't have the option. Next thing to try is to remove some of the music from the compact drives and see what happens. I will update as I find out more. Any input would be appreciated. All music is in flac files.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
New to forums like this. 2024 Ram Laramie. 12" uconnect system. 19 speakers. I had a 128Gb stick with USB A on one end and USB C on the other. Loaded it up with music, and it plays music fine. (It did take some time to load the music though) I wanted something a little more compact so I bought a Sandisk as well as a Samsung compact usb sticks. Both loaded with the same files as the one stick that does work. The compact flash drives will not play. 'Device Read' error. One compact is a 3.2 and the other is 3.1. The drive that plays is 3.1. The compacts drives are formatted in exFat32. Tried to change to Fat32 and I don't have the option. Next thing to try is to remove some of the music from the compact drives and see what happens. I will update as I find out more. Any input would be appreciated. All music is in flac files.
NTFS is also supported.

IP CMDR

Reaction score
Update. Reformatted in NTFS and reloaded the music. Everything plays. With a large volume of music, it will let you play a couple songs right away while the rest is loading. I wonder if a larger USB will work? 256? 512?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update. Reformatted in NTFS and reloaded the music. Everything plays. With a large volume of music, it will let you play a couple songs right away while the rest is loading. I wonder if a larger USB will work? 256? 512?
Not 100% for this unit but in general you should be good up to 2TB then anything bigger then that and it's a crap shoot.

There is decent chance an external HHD would work if the power draw is small enough, the kind that only has the USB port for power.

The head unit is Android, so if it supports an USB drive it will support an external hdd too and you can tuck it away and just run the cable into the port.

Tom5

Reaction score
My phone charges but does not communicate to the radio like it use to. My wife plugged her usb in usb 2 while I was in usb one and it stopped working? Any thoughts

beetlespin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info (y)

Users who are viewing this thread