5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft Offroading with Laramie 4x4

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Yes, 308 wheels. They are the 20x9 +0, but they don't make them in 20s anymore and you can't find them anywhere.

Wildpeak 275/65R20 34.1"

I removed the front air dam and the lower active aero. I'm still on the hunt for proper rock sliders.

I was hoping the brake caliper clearance issue was solved. The tires raised the truck 1". I think they fit the spare tire carrier, and with the ORG (raised 1") would have the same clearance as the OE 32" tire. They also have huge load capacity, 7" sidewalls (same as OE 32") tires and with their large diameter create what is thought to be a better trail/overland contact patch. Of course, 18" wheels would have 8" sidewalls. The new Ford HD Tremor has LT285/75-18E tires, Goodyear Wranglers, from the factory.

The retail Wildpeak A/T3W is supposed to be a great trail and road all-terrain tire. Do you air down your tires off-road?

Some may find this article on rock sliders interesting: https://www.roundforge.com/articles/rock-sliders-and-rocker-guards/ . The Smittybuilt in the video looks perfect for but isn't available for the Ram and isn't listed at all on the Smittybuilt website. It would also probably have an issue with the power slider included standard or in desirable packages on the Limited and Longhorn.

White Knuckle has sliders for the 4th Gen and the 2500s. Pricey though. https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/ram-1500-gas-diesel-2014-2018-rock-sliders/ Don't know their 5th Gen plans. This is a video of an install on a 2500 Power Wagon, removing and comparing them to power steps.

The trouble is, even on trails, it all depends on road maintenance and if the truck has to go around an obstacle blocking part of the road. Not unlike obstacles on regular paved roads. Or fording streams...is it 6" or is it 30", and when do you find out? Having 30" fording depth is interesting unless 31" floods the interior and shorts out the power, heated, and ventilated seats.

Do you a

I've upgraded my tires to All-Terrains and I have the factory skid plates but I still wouldn't want to take my $65k truck on anything other than some forest trails. That's what my Jeep is for. Lol.

View attachment 36901

Your right. There is no way to cover a 145" wheelbase. There were even issues with the 137" Jeep Gladiator at a Rubicon press outing.

In the end, the Ram 1500 is a very nice pickup truck. It was designed for pavement and commuting to work. The further it goes from its designed work the more it will require modifications to overcome its limitations. Since it isn't used for that as much as some other vehicles, finding those parts will be harder. But then, if you really wanted an off-road streetable pickup, wouldn't you rather have a Power Wagon?

R

Rob5589

I was hoping the brake caliper clearance issue was solved. The tires raised the truck 1". I think they fit the spare tire carrier, and with the ORG (raised 1") would have the same clearance as the OE 32" tire. They also have huge load capacity, 7" sidewalls (same as OE 32") tires and with their large diameter create what is thought to be a better trail/overland contact patch. Of course, 18" wheels would have 8" sidewalls. The new Ford HD Tremor has LT285/75-18E tires, Goodyear Wranglers, from the factory.

The retail Wildpeak A/T3W is supposed to be a great trail and road all-terrain tire. Do you air down your tires off-road?

Some may find this article on rock sliders interesting: https://www.roundforge.com/articles/rock-sliders-and-rocker-guards/ . The Smittybuilt in the video looks perfect for but isn't available for the Ram and isn't listed at all on the Smittybuilt website. It would also probably have an issue with the power slider included standard or in desirable packages on the Limited and Longhorn.

White Knuckle has sliders for the 4th Gen and the 2500s. Pricey though. https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/ram-1500-gas-diesel-2014-2018-rock-sliders/ Don't know their 5th Gen plans. This is a video of an install on a 2500 Power Wagon, removing and comparing them to power steps.

The trouble is, even on trails, it all depends on road maintenance and if the truck has to go around an obstacle blocking part of the road. Not unlike obstacles on regular paved roads. Or fording streams...is it 6" or is it 30", and when do you find out? Having 30" fording depth is interesting unless 31" floods the interior and shorts out the power, heated, and ventilated seats.

Do you a

Your right. There is no way to cover a 145" wheelbase. There were even issues with the 137" Jeep Gladiator at a Rubicon press outing.

In the end, the Ram 1500 is a very nice pickup truck. It was designed for pavement and commuting to work. The further it goes from its designed work the more it will require modifications to overcome its limitations. Since it isn't used for that as much as some other vehicles, finding those parts will be harder. But then, if you really wanted an off-road streetable pickup, wouldn't you rather have a Power Wagon?
Pavement and commuting? Uh, no. Just had mine in all kinds of slop, 20" creek crossings, snow, torn up rock strewn logging roads, steep climbs, and it performed 100% (completely stock). I did bend up a side step due to a steep creek crossing but that is a symptom of wheelbase and ride height. Without the step it would have cleared just fine.
Why buy a 4x4 pick up if only using it on road? And buying one to commute in is a waste of money and fuel.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Pavement and commuting? Uh, no. Just had mine in all kinds of slop, 20" creek crossings, snow, torn up rock strewn logging roads, steep climbs, and it performed 100% (completely stock). I did bend up a side step due to a steep creek crossing but that is a symptom of wheelbase and ride height. Without the step it would have cleared just fine.
Why buy a 4x4 pick up if only using it on road? And buying one to commute in is a waste of money and fuel.

You do have the ORG, so stock with an asterisk. Do you have the air suspension?

Questions: did you air down your tires? How did you know the creek was 20" and not 36"? Did you use 4Lo or Hill Descent at any point? Are you now looking for rocker sliders?

However, I've seen videos of a fair amount of damage on OE trucks: exhausts, rockers, air dams, etc. FCA has the Gladiator and Power Wagon which are arguably, maybe except as a pre-runner, the most off-road trucks. What makes the 2020 Ford Tremor interesting is the combination of 35" tires on 18" rims, some interesting off-road electronics, and that it keeps the payload/towing of an HD truck (It is available as both an F250 and F350 short bed (6'4", 160" wb) crew cab. The Power Wagon might be a 2500, but goes all 1/2 ton in terms of payload and towing. With disconnecting front sway bar and front locker and softer springs with a long travel suspension the Power Wagon is more off-road, but isn't the point an off-road HD pickup to still have an HD pickup? (see the endless threads on towing capacity in the towing section)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Is this eternal conversation actually starting in the Ram forum? I love it! Everyone is going to have their own definition of “off roading.” If you are out looking for an off road challenge, then sure there are other vehicles much more capable of accepting that challenge. But to say this truck is meant for pavement, I’m not sure that’s the case. I live in the mountains and I’ve been off road plenty in my Laramie 6’4 and it’s been more than capable of getting me where I want to go. I’m not hardcore, though...I just want my truck to get me from Point A to Point B so I can go play ;)

R

Rob5589

You do have the ORG, so stock with an asterisk. Do you have the air suspension?

Questions: did you air down your tires? How did you know the creek was 20" and not 36"? Did you use 4Lo or Hill Descent at any point? Are you now looking for rocker sliders?

However, I've seen videos of a fair amount of damage on OE trucks: exhausts, rockers, air dams, etc. FCA has the Gladiator and Power Wagon which are arguably, maybe except as a pre-runner, the most off-road trucks. What makes the 2020 Ford Tremor interesting is the combination of 35" tires on 18" rims, some interesting off-road electronics, and that it keeps the payload/towing of an HD truck (It is available as both an F250 and F350 short bed (6'4", 160" wb) crew cab. The Power Wagon might be a 2500, but goes all 1/2 ton in terms of payload and towing. With disconnecting front sway bar and front locker and softer springs with a long travel suspension the Power Wagon is more off-road, but isn't the point an off-road HD pickup to still have an HD pickup? (see the endless threads on towing capacity in the towing section)
Yep, ORG. No air suspension. Did not air down. Water was above the center of the wheel hub, so it was a guess. Yes, needed low for some climbs and used the e-locker for a couple. Did not use hill descent. No, not looking for real rocker protection as I do not foresee needing it. The step was just an unlucky victim of me thinking, "I did it in my TJ last year." :D
After the rain and snow stopped, I was able to get through the same stuff, mostly, in 4 high. I was actually impressed by the traction control in 2wd, having never driven a vehicle with it. I used to wheel in a Jeep on the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc, so I feel I have a pretty good idea of a vehicles off road capability. For a long wb, relatively low, all factory pick up, it is plenty capable off road.

Users who are viewing this thread