5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So this is really interesting (bigger tires + lower speedo = aero mode?)

FrankNBeans

Reaction score
I recently put on a set of 35x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 2020 Limited (stock wheels) and wanted to see how much the speedometer is out. I downloaded a couple of different GPS-based speedometers for the iPhone and tested them in my Tesla to get a baseline and they're all pretty accurate (within 1kph). So back in the Ram, I set my cruise at 100kph and the GPS speedo bounces between 107 and 108kph which is what I predicted with the larger tires.

Here's the interesting part...even though my truck's speedometer reads 100kph, it switched into Aero mode. Previously it would lower at 108kph (66mph) which is in line with what the truck manual says. So if the speedometer is reading 100kph, there must be some other way the truck still knows it's going 108kph. The only other thing I can think of is that it's using the GPS instead of the speedo for the height adjustment.

What do the rest of you think? Or does someone know for sure?

20200201_220929151_iOS (2).jpg

Limited Bob

Reaction score
They may use a pressure traducer built into the actuators that sense the pressure on the bottom of the flap. Then in actuated mode they sense the lighter "Deployed" pressure then retract at that point.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
They may use a pressure traducer built into the actuators that sense the pressure on the bottom of the flap. Then in actuated mode they sense the lighter "Deployed" pressure then retract at that point.

That makes a lot of sense - would also account for headwinds/tailwinds... ie it should drop into Aero mode at a lower "ground speed" with a strong head-wind.

Users who are viewing this thread