5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snowmobiling - Give me the Good, Bad and Ugly

FATKID

Reaction score
Down south I rode Motorcycles and went off-road in Jeeps. Been in MN/WI area for 8 years and recently started thinking about how we're going to get through this winter without going crazy.

Snowmobiles look fun with "22,000 miles of groomed trails in MN" - any insight into getting into it, gear required, tips and tricks you use would be most welcomed. I'm not terribly interested in Mountain Climbing this thing - more groomed trail riding (Late 30s with a wife and two kids).

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Down south I rode Motorcycles and went off-road in Jeeps. Been in MN/WI area for 8 years and recently started thinking about how we're going to get through this winter without going crazy.

Snowmobiles look fun with "22,000 miles of groomed trails in MN" - any insight into getting into it, gear required, tips and tricks you use would be most welcomed. I'm not terribly interested in Mountain Climbing this thing - more groomed trail riding (Late 30s with a wife and two kids).
I have been riding for 30 years and its a blast. Sounds like you need a couple of 2 up sleds. I would look for a couple of nice used sleds and see how you like it before you drop 15,000.00 a pop on new ones. I have always been a BRP guy and have had one Polaris. I like the looks of the ski-doo's but anything to get out and ride. Buy enclosed trailer, couple of sleds and the best gear you can afford. Being cold while riding does SUCK. My place is near Siren Wi, Never ending trails makes every time out an adventure. Wi does allow UTV's on Certain trails and that's a hoot. Give it a whirl- only live once and can't take it with you. 20151121_153546.jpg 20181116_173146.jpg

FATKID

Reaction score
I have been riding for 30 years and its a blast. Sounds like you need a couple of 2 up sleds. I would look for a couple of nice used sleds and see how you like it before you drop 15,000.00 a pop on new ones. I have always been a BRP guy and have had one Polaris. I like the looks of the ski-doo's but anything to get out and ride. Buy enclosed trailer, couple of sleds and the best gear you can afford. Being cold while riding does SUCK. My place is near Siren Wi, Never ending trails makes every time out an adventure. Wi does allow UTV's on Certain trails and that's a hoot. Give it a whirl- only live once and can't take it with you. View attachment 74278 View attachment 74279
Thanks for your input! What constitutes a “nice used sled”? Hour count important, etc?

Do you ride in WI & MN? My wife is originally from northern WI (Minocqua area). Ideally would like to ride up there too so the enclosed trailer makes sense.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! What constitutes a “nice used sled”? Hour count important, etc?

Do you ride in WI & MN? My wife is originally from northern WI (Minocqua area). Ideally would like to ride up there too so the enclosed trailer makes sense.
Nice used sled is more about the condition and maintenance that was done. Low miles does help but I've seen sleds with low miles that are beat up really bad. I used to ride up around Brainerd and Leech lake years ago. Now I'm riding from Siren Wi to Duluth and east towards Hayward.

Buffchief52

Reaction score

Snowmobiling in Mn/Wis is a blast! I’ve been doing it for over 15 years now. The south metro area where I live has tons of marked trails, but most are farmers fields, fun for higher speed riding. Up north is where it’s at in my opinion. Iron range, north shore trail near Duluth, northern Wisconsin also. Tons of great trails, very scenic with the majority through forest land. Towns very friendly to snowmobiling also.
The downside to snowmobiling is cost. You need a sled, used is the way to go when just starting out. (Low miles best on a used sled, less than 3000 miles) New sleds are over $10 grand now. You need a trailer to move the sled, $1000 gets you a descent used trailer on Craigslist.
Then there is oil if 2 stroke. Gas for sled, tow vehicles. Spare trailer tires, and never ending maintenance on the snowmobile. Add in hotels if traveling up north and food/beer and you find out quick that for the fun it is, and it is fun! It’s a very expensive sport for the 4 months you get to ride. (That’s if we get a good snow year).
I’ve learned life is short, so I don’t mind the cost, but if your short on cash these days, or starting a new family, this can be a tough sport on your wallet. IMG_0172.jpg

Last edited:

FATKID

Reaction score
Snowmobiling in Mn/Wis is a blast! I’ve been doing it for over 15 years now. The south metro area where I live has tons of marked trails, but most are farmers fields, fun for higher speed riding. Up north is where it’s at in my opinion. Iron range, north shore trail near Duluth, northern Wisconsin also. Tons of great trails, very scenic with the majority through forest land. Towns very friendly to snowmobiling also.
The downside to snowmobiling is cost. You need a sled, used is the way to go when just starting out. (Low miles best on a used sled, less than 3000 miles) New sleds are over $10 grand now. You need a trailer to move the sled, $1000 gets you a descent used trailer on Craigslist.
Then there is oil if 2 stroke. Gas for sled, tow vehicles. Spare trailer tires, and never ending maintenance on the snowmobile. Add in hotels if traveling up north and food/beer and you find out quick that for the fun it is, and it is fun! It’s a very expensive sport for the 4 months you get to ride. (That’s if we get a good snow year).
I’ve learned life is short, so I don’t mind the cost, but if your short on cash these days, or starting a new family, this can be a tough sport on your wallet. View attachment 74465
Great insight - really appreciate your input! We’re probably not too far from each other - I’m in the Lakeville/Farmington/Rosemount Bermuda Triangle.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Im in Elko New Market, Prior Lake, New Prague area. Big thanks to the local snowmobiling clubs that work hard out here to mark trails for us. Thanks to all the farmers and private land owners for letting the trails go across your property!

Last edited:

Burnzie

Reaction score
It's a rich man's sport, after 15 years I sold my and the wife's sleds ,and trailer. 10 years ago we could ride from the house, not as of late, got tired of trailering everywhere. It was fun when we had snow.

V509

Reaction score
Cannot comment about modern riding, I bought my first snowmobile in 1984 and continued to ride until I got married in 1997. Back then it was great fun. Basically riding from bar to bar as fast as humanly possible

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go out and rent sleds and gear a couple of times. It’ll cost you, but it’s a great way to test out the sport and see if it’s worth investing in your own equipment.

I’m fortunate to have family in Michigan’s UP, and I’ve had access to some crazy sleds and amazing trails with minimal investment. It’s one reason we’re thinking about a lake house up north!

FATKID

Reaction score
Go out and rent sleds and gear a couple of times. It’ll cost you, but it’s a great way to test out the sport and see if it’s worth investing in your own equipment.

I’m fortunate to have family in Michigan’s UP, and I’ve had access to some crazy sleds and amazing trails with minimal investment. It’s one reason we’re thinking about a lake house up north!
We just drove up there a couple of days ago to go skiing at Powderhorn in Bessemer. Lake life in the Northwoods is the best - all seasons.

Attachments

• AEEAE617-62B7-4C5A-95B3-5E67CC9F8E87.jpeg
    AEEAE617-62B7-4C5A-95B3-5E67CC9F8E87.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E47C6613-02DA-4FB6-98D1-FF21D31C7562.jpeg
    E47C6613-02DA-4FB6-98D1-FF21D31C7562.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread