5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smell

S

Smashy71

Has anyone noticed a smell while driving in 4x4? I’m not sure if it’s from all the snow getting thrown into undercarriage or something else. I’ve never driven in snow like this being I’ve never been around this much snow ever. I’m at 3500 miles and I’ve used 4x4 nearly everyday for the past 5 weeks. I use it mainly on the snow packed road leading up to my house about 1/3 mile and a time and it’s all up hill. Only a few times have I driven it at about 40 going into town when the main roads are snow packed. Not sure if it’s just the “break in” smell sort of speak.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
What does it smell like?

I've used my rebel off road light mudding in 4wd at least 200 miles of my 2200 miles so far and hadn't noticed any..smell,

I did notice a smell from the exhaust when the MDS would kick on and off , sort of like rich burning fuel sometimes but thats since passed

S

Smashy71

What does it smell like?

I've used my rebel off road light mudding in 4wd at least 200 miles of my 2200 miles so far and hadn't noticed any..smell,

I did notice a smell from the exhaust when the MDS would kick on and off , sort of like rich burning fuel sometimes but thats since passed
Like a wet dirty sock stuck to a manifold.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Like a wet dirty sock stuck to a manifold.

Woah lawdy,

Now I KNOW this might sound like a longshot, but have you cleaned your truck since the smell started?

I only ask because last year I drove through a puddle on my motorcycle, seemingly harmless but I started smelling something simmilar/rotten

Long short. That puddle was dumpster water and caked **** to the bike,

Could be possible (maybe i don't drive in snow) you got some nasty snow and mud caked on your truck

Troop2865

Reaction score
There are other threads on this. My truck smells like skunk weed when I sit still after driving. I have about 1000 miles.

S

Smashy71

There are other threads on this. My truck smells like skunk weed when I sit still after driving. I have about 1000 miles.

Yeah, the only thread I found with smell was with etorque I don’t have etorque and unrelated to what I was looking for.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
When you say you use 4X4, do you mean 4X4, or 4wd auto...

S

Smashy71

When you say you use 4X4, do you mean 4X4, or 4wd auto...

I don’t have auto. Rebels just have 4x4 high and low with e locker. I’ve popped the hood and crawled underneath and I can’t see anything that would be out of normal. My only guess would be all the snow being flung up into the undercarriage and burning off.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I don’t have auto. Rebels just have 4x4 high and low with e locker. I’ve popped the hood and crawled underneath and I can’t see anything that would be out of normal. My only guess would be all the snow being flung up into the undercarriage and burning off.
Yes, I would think thats the most likely. The Cat burning things off.

At that speed, 40 in 4wd hi, possible diff oil getting on hot parts. Being brand new, in my head I woukdnt worry, but on a scheduled service trip, bring it up.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
On a sode note, and I am sure you have already tried, but I seen some videos of these 19s doing seemingly heavy duty traction needs in 2wd, until things got hairy. Heavier than one would have imagined.

Unless a snowy cliff is nearby and trees are imminent within feet of a path, maybe 2wd can suffice in safer controlled scenarios?

S

Smashy71

On a sode note, and I am sure you have already tried, but I seen some videos of these 19s doing seemingly heavy duty traction needs in 2wd, until things got hairy. Heavier than one would have imagined.

Unless a snowy cliff is nearby and trees are imminent within feet of a path, maybe 2wd can suffice in safer controlled scenarios?

I’ve tried to drive in 2wd even with e locker but it’s just too steep with two 90degree switchbacks and it’s truly 100% up hill with a steep grade. I’m not complaining it’s pretty damn fun to be honest.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
In my experience, a weighted in the rear RWD only is often times better than a light and dry loaded 4wd in 4wd. Weird, maybe.

But not weird.

Weight in that back would obviously make the rear pack its tread into the snow better... but the lesser known realization is that the added weight is preventing the rear wheel slips that work the differential too much.

So whether you are in 4wd or rwd only, weight in the back is key. And if theres weight in back of a truck outfitted for 4wd (clearance - for less front resistance to high snow, and tires - treaded for all terrain), and yet that 4wd has been kept in Rwd only, you are certainly gling to perform better than say, a car, who can perform decently in rwd only in the snow with weights.

I guess my moral is, try confidence in Rwd with weights, and maybe ease on 4wd case.

Stopping is easier when weighted, as counter intuitive as that seems, too.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I’ve tried to drive in 2wd even with e locker but it’s just too steep with two 90degree switchbacks and it’s truly 100% up hill with a steep grade. I’m not complaining it’s pretty **** fun to be honest.
Roger that, then belay my last post, whoch i sent before reading this one.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Try sand bags though. I keep nine 50lb bags of play sand just for these scenarios.

S

Smashy71

Try sand bags though. I keep nine 50lb bags of play sand just for these scenarios.

I’m going to run down to a place called north 40 and buy a couple hundred pounds worth. It definitely needs it. My 2 door Tahoe can climb up it in 2wd with ease. The shorter wheel base makes a huge difference.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I got 9 bags for like 7 dollars each or something at home depot. Not a bad price I thought... basic play sand. The important thing to me was the salt levels in whatever bags of weight I bought. Didnt want salt in there just corroding away free will. Play sakd seemed moderate enough to me.

Heck, where you are, wood can do the trick too i suppose

S

Smashy71

I got 9 bags for like 7 dollars each or something at home depot. Not a bad price I thought... basic play sand. The important thing to me was the salt levels in whatever bags of weight I bought. Didnt want salt in there just corroding away free will. Play sakd seemed moderate enough to me.

Heck, where you are, wood can do the trick too i suppose
I’m in north Idaho about 50 miles from Canada and have plenty of wood but that’s too messy and I burn it. Haha.

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
My truck smells like that too. I even opened the hood and opened up the Air box to see if they put a bag of weed in there or something, lol. It smells like it's coming from up front to me but you can smell it inside sometimes as well.
I have about 600 miles on my 19 Laramie now and thinking it will go away after more break in miles. I hope anyway, I don't even smoke pot and multiple people have asked about the pot smell..
Nice huh?
Bill

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck smells like that too. I even opened the hood and opened up the Air box to see if they put a bag of weed in there or something, lol. It smells like it's coming from up front to me but you can smell it inside sometimes as well.
I have about 600 miles on my 19 Laramie now and thinking it will go away after more break in miles. I hope anyway, I don't even smoke pot and multiple people have asked about the pot smell..
Nice huh?
Bill
When I first got my truck, I also noticed a funny smell. At first, it smelt like burning brakes, I didn't notice any excessive heat at any of the wheels and no brake dust on the rims or anything, so I attributed it to brand new brakes breaking in? Then, after a few days, it kind of smelled more like mushrooms/fungus... I could smell it near the rear of the truck. It slowly went away over the next two or three weeks, and now I don't smell anything at all.. This was in 2WD, not 4WD.

Users who are viewing this thread