5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small windshield defroster

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
Anyone know the purpose of the small embedded windshield defroster located where the rear view mirror is mounted? I was thinking possibly related to the forward collision or adaptive cruise control systems on the limited, but not quite sure. First I noticed it today with the snow and ice in PA and had used my remote start to warm up the truck. Also what setting controls it?

LaRamie

Reaction score
I'm going to go with rain sensor assuming it's up in there too. Our Subaru had a strip for the wipers I believe was activated with rear defrost. Whether this is like that, dont know, be my first guess though

Tjd

Reaction score
Anyone know the purpose of the small embedded windshield defroster located where the rear view mirror is mounted? I was thinking possibly related to the forward collision or adaptive cruise control systems on the limited, but not quite sure. First I noticed it today with the snow and ice in PA and had used my remote start to warm up the truck. Also what setting controls it?

I noticed that today too when scraping window after freezing rain, I wish that was embedded in the entire window.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Are you talking where Item 1 is on the diagram below?

1543408788582.png

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
Are you talking where Item 1 is on the diagram below?

View attachment 9099

It is in that area yes, but it is an actual defroster built into the windshield like you see in a rear window. I attached a pic. That white object is my ez pass toll pass mounted just under the rear view mirror ( probably camera also) assembly. You can see the triangular shaped defroster just above it.

Attachments

• ACD21F89-54B3-4987-8DD3-B7C580A43D11.jpeg
    ACD21F89-54B3-4987-8DD3-B7C580A43D11.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 127

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is in that area yes, but it is an actual defroster built into the windshield like you see in a rear window. I attached a pic. That white object is my ez pass toll pass mounted just under the rear view mirror ( probably camera also) assembly. You can see the triangular shaped defroster just above it.

I'll be damned if I can find anything else listed, but this appears to be it.

1543412308465.png

ericd

Reaction score
I noticed that today too when scraping window after freezing rain, I wish that was embedded in the entire window.

I had a full front windshield defroster embedded in my old Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It was awesome. I lived in upstate NY and it took solid ice down to water in like 45 seconds.

Reactions: Tjd

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
I had a full front windshield defroster embedded in my old Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It was awesome. I lived in upstate NY and it took solid ice down to water in like 45 seconds.
Is the electric windshield wiper deicer the black checked area on my lower windshield? Wasn’t aware of that feature. What does BCM stand for regarding triggering the camera heater?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the electric windshield wiper deicer the black checked area on my lower windshield? Wasn’t aware of that feature. What does BCM stand for regarding triggering the camera heater?
BCM is the body control Module.

I'm not actually sure where / if there is a electric windshield wiper deicer. I've noticed some of the wiring diagrams have some items listed that dont exist....maybe future plans or items that got removed and the diagrams were never updated.

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
BCM is the body control Module.

I'm not actually sure where / if there is a electric windshield wiper deicer. I've noticed some of the wiring diagrams have some items listed that dont exist....maybe future plans or items that got removed and the diagrams were never updated.
This is the answer I finally got back from FCA for anyone with the forward facing camera. :

If it is less than 40F ambient temperature, the CBC initiates the grid for 240 seconds. If the module sends a "camera blocked signal" at the end of the defrost cycle, the CBC initiates a second heating grid cycle for 240 seconds. If the camera blocked signal is received by the CBC from the camera after the second cycle, a third and final 240 second defrost cycle will be initiated. If the camera blocked signal is received by the CBC after the third and final defrost cycle, the IRCM system will be deactivated and the customer will get notification thru the cluster that the feature IRCM and features associated with the IRCM are not going have limited functionality or not available.

mophead

Reaction score
Wish Ram would make this a $350 option. They (MB) have heated windshields too. Top, sides and wiper area with extra grids

1615872154785.png

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know the 4th Gen had a dealer installed option of heated windshield washer fluid, don't think they brought it over to the 5th Gen's.

Users who are viewing this thread