5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight shudder at very low speeds

flameredram

Reaction score
I was wondering if other RAM owners experience a slight shake/shudder at very low speeds (0-2mph), when starting from standstill & parking/maneuvering. It is most noticeable when brakes are depressed just enough to allow for very slow movement (like inching forward at a stop sign or in a traffic jam), and it feels like the whole truck is vibrating trying to jerk forward while being held back by the brakes. The most accurate analogy I can give is when not enough gas is given when releasing the clutch in a manual transmission car and the car starts shaking as it comes close to stalling. Once the truck goes above ~3mph acceleration and shifts are silky smooth, and there is no vibration during light or heavy braking.

Kinda feels like the brakes are not releasing cleanly or something inside the transmission/torque converter - just wanted to know if this is something others experience?

IHFN

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same thing. I've tried all sorts of settings including modifying the tow settings but to no avail.

flameredram

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys - I guess it's just a quirk these trucks have that I'll have to learn to live with

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Is there a fix for this? Drives me nuts... been happening since day 1 for me. Dealer didn’t help me much.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine does it a little, seems to have stopped. Either I changed my driving habits or I just don't notice anymore. My 4th gen did it real bad, if you tried to creep forward at some lights it felt like warped rotors then smoothed out after giving it gas. Probably the transmission metering the flow of fluid past the torque converter, or the idle speed is too low

flameredram

Reaction score
Mine does it a little, seems to have stopped. Either I changed my driving habits or I just don't notice anymore. My 4th gen did it real bad, if you tried to creep forward at some lights it felt like warped rotors then smoothed out after giving it gas. Probably the transmission metering the flow of fluid past the torque converter, or the idle speed is too low
It’s definitely something transmission related, at first I blamed the brakes not releasing in time, but putting it in neutral on an incline and gradually releasing the brakes did not produce any shudder. Also you can feel it just a tiny bit when starting to move under idle torque with no brakes applied, up until about 1 mph.

IHFN

Reaction score
hmm, mine only happens when braking. At least I think it is. I'll do some tests when I get out later today.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys - I guess it's just a quirk these trucks have that I'll have to learn to live with
Yep, very, VERY! known issue with these trucks... If you look up "rough downshift" you will see hundreds of posts about this behavior.
I use to visit my dealer every week for a few months just for this issue alone, No fix and just a waste of time and money when my work truck was there for a few weeks in total.
Some people said that replacing the drive shaft fixed it for a few miles and then it came back and some said that a software update fixed it for a little bit.
There is no known fix for this issue that's been going on since 2015 DS's...

kbeaton2

Reaction score
ey All,

Hope I can describe this in the best way, and someone can help out here. I bought a used 2019 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 short box, truck had 27k on it when I picked it up. After about 1k miles, truck started to vibrate in 20-32 range, and 54-66 miles. After another week I could feel the vibration in other speeds as well. To get me back on the road the swapped my tires and rims from another ram on the lot (same rims and factory tires) vibration for the most part went away for 4-5 days, then I could feel it coming back again in the same way (note all these sets for road forced) They said my original tires couldn’t balance, so they bought me new hankook AT2 tires and installed them back on my original rims that sat on the donor truck for 2 weeks. Again after 4-5 days the truck shakes. After 2 weeks you can feel it when driving soft and accelerating slowly (in my feet, pedals, seat and some time when my arms on the center arm rest.

not sure when when new/ used balanced tires get installed it stops. But the tires on my truck when installed back on the donor truck, no shakes or vibration. Anyone see something like this before

hangovna

Reaction score
Yup also experiencing this. The truck shudders when moving very slow, definitely the transmission bucking (has to be the torque converter). Doubt there's any software fix that will cure it.

GrizzlyAlloy

Reaction score
I was wondering if other RAM owners experience a slight shake/shudder at very low speeds (0-2mph), when starting from standstill & parking/maneuvering. It is most noticeable when brakes are depressed just enough to allow for very slow movement (like inching forward at a stop sign or in a traffic jam), and it feels like the whole truck is vibrating trying to jerk forward while being held back by the brakes. The most accurate analogy I can give is when not enough gas is given when releasing the clutch in a manual transmission car and the car starts shaking as it comes close to stalling. Once the truck goes above ~3mph acceleration and shifts are silky smooth, and there is no vibration during light or heavy braking.

Kinda feels like the brakes are not releasing cleanly or something inside the transmission/torque converter - just wanted to know if this is something others experience?

GrizzlyAlloy

Reaction score
I drive around an oil refinery all day where the speed limit it 19 7/8 mph. This truck is rough as hell. Feels like it stays in some gears longer than it should and at other times it just skips a gear. I never noticed anything like this in my F150.

vazilioz

Reaction score
Ram 2022 Hemi no etorque same problem as the OP. 3 dealers no solutions. Idle RPM 500 seems to cause partially the jerkiness.

Users who are viewing this thread