5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siphoning gasoline from the 33-gal tank possible?

stevestrike

Reaction score
Hurricane season coming upon us here and I've been trying to think of a way to have 40+ gallons of fresh fuel on hand for the generator. I had the idea that I have 33 gallons of fuel in the truck that is cycled out every week. Would it be feasible to fill the truck and use it as standby fuel if needed? Are there any anti-siphoning devices in these trucks? Seems like an easy and safe way to "store" that much fuel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't tried siphoning gas from mine, but I'm pretty sure that most if not all modern vehicles have anti-siphoning devices built into the fuel filler neck. Most people who steal fuel now just punch a hole in the plastic tank. Honestly I'd rather have them be able to siphon it out. replacing a fuel tank is expensive.

Besides, how often is your gas tank full? I suppose for a hurricane you'd have advance notice, giving you time to go fill up, but if the power goes out without notice it wouldn't do much good if your tank was below 1/4 full. I keep several gas cans on hand for use in my generator. And I cycle that gas through my vehicles once a year when I take off snow tires on my Audi.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, then activate the fuel pump.

The manual has you energize the pump using a handheld scan tool. If you lack one, you unplug the fuel pump relay and jumper it. It is relay K01.

The tricky part is that you have an open gasoline line and you might be creating sparks.

If you hunt hard enough, you might be able to find a fuel pressure tester that tees into the fuel line. Then you can start the truck and crack the bleed and get fuel out that way. Slowly. Open too wide too fast and the pressure may dip and stall the engine.

All things considered, a few gas cans that get emptied into the truck and refilled with fresh on a monthly basis are a lot simpler. Don't forget the spout extension attached to the jack.

Let's try attaching things and you can read it for yourself

Attachments

• 14 - Fuel System_Fuel Delivery, Gas_Standard Procedure DRAINING FUEL TANK.pdf
    160.7 KB · Views: 6
  • RAM 1500 5th-Gen Power Distribution Center - External.pdf
    879.9 KB · Views: 4

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 72 Gal AUX Fuel Tank needs to go to the welder. With the
33 Gal tank @ 29 MPG in my EcoDiesel, I would have a 3000+
mile range. Then add another 1-2 MPG for the GDE tune to that.

Malodave

stevestrike

Reaction score
You disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, then activate the fuel pump.

....snip...

All things considered, a few gas cans that get emptied into the truck and refilled with fresh on a monthly basis are a lot simpler. Don't forget the spout extension attached to the jack.
Agreed, but thank you for the detailed explanation! It's good to know in a case of a true emergency, but a half-dozen of those Harbor Freight Jerrycans are looking pretty good right now.

Users who are viewing this thread