5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shredding OEM Goodyear tires, sidewalls weather cracking on 3 out of 4 tires

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Warning - long read - grab some popcorn or a sandwich.
On going 'Dead Battery' issue, for Minnie Pearl. After continuing battery issues since June 9th, 2022 I took the truck back to the dealer on Friday to show them problems, and left it with them Monday (7.25.22). It is now almost noon on Thursday and not a peep from the service writer, or Paul, service manager ( who flat told me he would not, and could not do anything about the battery issue because 'after charging the battery, it tested fine'). I have also not heard from Ram Care customer service in two weeks pertaining to the case (#83263224) created. My last correspondence from Ram Care was; " There is nothing we will do, Paul, the service manager, says the battery is good, the problem is the non-OEM handicap equipment, and you need to return to your installer.' So here is "The rest of the story", as laid out for my service writer after I was accused of being 'confrontational'.

John L

David H,

As requested, I am creating a list of the ongoing and random issues I have experienced with my 2019 Laramie Longhorn Ram 1500 truck since I took ownership August 8th, 2020. As you well know, my primary complaint and foremost on my list, is the ongoing and recurring ‘dead battery’ issue that has plagued this vehicle since new. The failure count now exceeds 11 times I have been stranded. At least four of which can be documented by FCA road service claims. Initially, the battery failed within 4 or 5 days of purchase on Aug 11th or 12th, 2022, in my installers driveway, before any non-OEM handicap equipment was installed. Once the vehicle was returned it failed again on Sep 26, 2020, a FCA road service request was made, valve clatter and low end knock following start up, radio, air conditioner, navigation screen none functional, drove vehicle approximately 20 miles at slow speeds, radio functions normal the next day. The battery has continued to fail at random and intermittent intervals of use. The vehicle was built in July 2019, and delivered to the dealership, where it sat for 13 months due to the COVID pandemic, it had 92 miles on the odometer when purchased. After much testing by my installer, and in an effort to appease the Nyle Maxwell, Castroville, Tx service writer/manager, the BraunAbility equipment was removed and replaced with a second base unit (at an additional $4000 cost to me). When the battery issues continued, a temporary 12v battery was installed to isolate the seat from the truck for several weeks. The dead battery issues continued. Because FCA road service took a 1.5 hour minimum to respond from San Antonio, on routine basis I begin to use the remote start fob function and or Uconnect remote start and let the engine idle the day before a doctors appointment. When a ‘failed to start due to a dead battery’ issue occurred, I attached my Schumacher SSC1500A charger, tried the engine boost function, which would not start the truck, and left the charger on until a 100% display was achieved. On multiple occasions, the charger would display charge aborted/bad battery. I have only a March 30,2021; picture remaining where the dead battery required charging. The battery display is 69% & 12.5 volts. There were multiple events where the battery displayed 30% less. Prior to the recent series of battery failures beginning June 9th, 2022 the last battery issue was on Nov 17th 2021. I used a severe/heavy duty battery charger, on fast charge 12v settings to charge the battery enough I could start and drive the vehicle to a doctors appointment. I suspect doing so de-sulfonated the cell plates, resulting in the 8 month interval between failures. I opened a Ram Care case (#83263224 see below) following the June dead battery events. Paul is aware of this case# and has spoken with Odalys, the case manager. Paul is convinced it is the non-OEM equipment. My installer, Steven Alvarez, SCA Mobility, San Antonio, Tx (210) 259-3512, employed in the ability modification business for 20 years, is convinced (after multiple inspections, equipment replacement, and testing) it is not the non-OEM equipment. I also contacted BraunaAbility customer/technical service, (800) 488-0359, who has sent me documentation showing the ‘standby’ power consumption is 0.8 mA for the Turny seat. The Bruno wheelchair lift, is a power on/ power off device with no standby power requirements. Power requirement calculations would indicate a healthy OEM battery with 80 amp hour capacity, will last 100,000 hours under a 0.8 mA load or draw condition. In conclusion, on October 2nd, 2022, I will have been in a wheelchair for 20 years. During this time, I have owned similar equipment installed in two new Chevrolet Silverado’s (2003 and 2013) with combined mileage of over 175,000 miles. I used these vehicles under both daily driver and occasional use conditions, a ‘dead battery issue’ never occurred unless it was a ‘bad battery’. Any starting problem was immediately resolved once the battery was replaced. I left Chevrolet trucks for Ram, because both their trucks, since new, used a quart of oil in 1500 to 1800 miles. Two in a row, with no dealer support, was enough for me.

Dealership records for this truck include (there may be additional tickets for ‘battery checks’):

Tire rotation occurred at both oil change services at Nyles Maxwell, records should be available. April 21, 2021; picture shows tread wear on tires Ok.

June 28, 2021; radio issues started, SiriusXM Loading lock up, no volume control, no AM/FM signals received, ‘steering wheel heat on’ icon displayed, ‘Phone connectivity and use’, ‘multiple radio reception and function issues’, USB port not found. These faults required replacement of the original radio unit with a factory rebuilt unit, I was told new radio modules were not available due to COVID. The service was performed in July at Nyle Maxwell in Castroville, following several weeks of ‘waiting on parts’.

July 31, 2021; passenger side AC vent direction vanes non-functional, probably happened during radio replacement, returned to dealership – quick fix.

October 22, 2021; Dash board delamination of leather covering on passenger side, the failure required 4 months wait time and replacement of entire dash, Was told I had to pay additional charges because handicap equipment needed to be removed to facilitate replacement (once returned, I could not see, feel or determine any indication of hand control R&R). The service was performed early February 2022, at Nyle Maxwell.

2021:

January 2021; front proximity sensors ‘alerting’ for curbs, and driveway dips, rear sensors ‘BRAKING’ for weeds.

May 18, 2021; driver side ‘auto up’ window function will usually not function properly as it had previously , switch has to be held up to make window go up, Auto up function will work intermittently

November 19, 2021; USB port #1, ‘Device not found’ error message occurs during road trip to South Texas. Jump drive had been in USB#1 since truck was purchased, played music just fine. Moved jump drive to USB port#2, music plays normally, moved jump drive back to USB#1 music played then stops, ‘device not found’. “Wiggled jump drive” and music plays, then quits. Move jump drive to USB#2 music plays just fine, reprogramed radio for USB#2.

November 21, 2021 more radio issues, device not supported, no volume control, “Upgrade your plan” message (I have premium plan already), navigation screen issues, repeated USB#1/ #2 issue took pictures.

December 10, 2021 low battery voltage 11.74 volts

December 2021 (?); Had 2nd oil change at dealership, rotated tires, noticed shredding of inner and outer tread on both tires which had been on the front and sidewall weather checking of three tires. Went by Bar-E Tire in Hondo, Tx. Technician thought it may be due to gravel roads, but agreed my driveway being only a ¼ mile long, combined with only a few 100 slow speed miles logged on county backroads would not be causing the treadwear, was equally concerned about weather checking and cracking of tires made mid year 2019.

December 2021; mileage drops to 15.3 from 17.5 mpg. Same route, roads, driving habits and gasoline (Shell mid grade).

2022 issues:

January 2022; added Royal Purple fuel conditioner, mileage increases to 16.3 mpg.

February 2022; two road trips to Bryan, Tx, highway mileage 17 mpg and 15 mpg respectively, city mileage drops to 12 & 13 mpg;

February 2022; irregular tire wear on front tires becoming apparent and getting worse

March 8, 2022; drove truck to Lithia FCA dealership in Bryan, spoke with service writer about fuel mileage, treadwear and USB#1 issue, He took Vin #, observed USB issue, inspected tires and told me he would ‘order USB parts, and when received, call and schedule an appointment’ to replace USB, check alignment on front end, and perform 15,000 mile injector clean procedure. I am still waiting for his call.

March 2022; Driver’s side ‘seat cooling’ icon begins to randomly illuminate. Can be manually turned off, but icon will come on again, either when the engine is restarted, or during operation of the vehicle. The cooling fan and seat assembly has been removed from the truck, seat wiring harness is in a black pouch accessed from the driver side back seat as per BraunAbility installation instructions.

Most recent issues:

Front tire treadwear abnormality and sidewall weather checking getting worse. ‘Not my problem’, ‘Goodyear’s are crap tires’, ‘we can’t help you’, ‘not covered by warranty’, ‘probably not alignment’, and “we can sell you new ones, and new rims too” are most common responses, none of which identify, address, or repair the root cause of a sudden change in tread wear patterns detected at last tire rotation approximately 3500 miles ago.

USB#1 hub does not recognize the same device it had initially recognized the day the truck was purchased and up until Nov. 19th 2021. USB#2 will read the same device USB#1 will not. USB#1 WILL read the device if the device is ‘wiggled’ in the USB port.

June 9th, 2022; rolled out to a dead battery, called Carriage Inn office for an unscheduled emergency chauffer to a doctor’s appointment for my wife which took 4 months to get. Upon return, called FCA road service, Pop-A- Lock in Bryan, responds, technician connects jump box, battery reading 12.3 volts, attempts to start vehicle but fails after multiple long seconds on the starter, tech re-checks clamps, lets starter rest and retries, again, engine did not start. After third or fourth attempt engine starts and rev’s abnormally high (3000 to 5000 rpm), when rpm resumes to 500, there is a severe and noticeable “lack of oil pressure/lubrication” clattering noise in the upper valve train and a low end knock. These noises were loud and persistent for 2 to 3 minutes, or longer, before valve clatter quieted down and low end knock receded. I immediately, drove to Lithia FCA dealer in Bryan, the SirusXM icon was gone, and the preferred select icons on bottom row of display were changed back up camera gone, Uconnect icon in it’s place. Upon arrival, I shut off engine, and spoke with Dale Lange*, service writer about the dead battery issue and history. He had ‘John’ do quick load test where the battery tested ‘good’. I got in to leave, and no back up camera function in reverse. John, comes over acknowledges no camera, after he had just used it to move the truck, and gets Dale. Dale and John sit with me for 15-20 minutes trying to figure out why there is no back up camera, front camera, no SirusXM selection icon, and multiple missing function icons, plus missing function/customize pages for icons that are displayed. Dale tried a reboot of the radio, but afterward, conditions did not change. Dale decided he would open a Star ticket, check with mechanics and schedule an appointment for me to bring my vehicle in without having to leave it for a week or more. (* Dale’s personal cell number (979) 574-1448).

June 10, 2022; called SiriusXM customer service and reported ‘no icon for SirusXM selection or stations’. Representative said she would use satellite to ping my truck. SirusXM icon came back, pre-programed favorite radio stations reset, back up camera icon, front and reverse cameras and display, all function icons and function programing pages begin working correctly again, the bottom row of preferred icons returned to normal.

June 20th, after waiting more than a week, I called the Lithia dealership service department to inquire about the progress of my appointment. I was told Dale no longer worked there, I did not have an appointment scheduled, I was welcome to bring my vehicle in and leave it until they could check it out, but they were real busy and it would be more than a week before it could occur. I explained my disappointment and displeasure at being put off by the service department and the service manager for not following up on Dale’s workload. I located and called Sterling FCA dealership in Navasota, explained the situation and issues, was offered an appointment on June 23rd, but had a conflict with a doctor appointment and made an appointment for June 27th

June 20, 2022; weak / dead battery, called FCA road service – Pop a Lock responded, used jump box

June 21, 2022; weak battery, but truck started

June 27; took truck to Sterling FCA, explained multiple issues with vehicle, with radio on, battery voltage dropped to 11.6 v with 10 minutes. Vehicle returned with: no problems found with battery, unable to check alignment, no problem with USB port#1 wouldn’t read jump drive.

June 28. 2022; screen icons not functional, some are gray/inactive, missing 2nd page of function, navigation screen does not respond to voice command/request from touch screen – microphone ‘gray’.

June 30, 2022; while driving, the radio and navigation screen became dark after I had turned on the wipers. When I turned the wipers off, the screen came back on as normal. I pulled over and videoed the wiper and screen interaction.

July 4th; 8th,11th, 12th, 16 ; key fob remote start - not working, horn will honk, lights flash, but engine not starting. Uconnect function also does not start the vehicle (I pay extra for Unconnect functions

July 16th; black screen again

July 20th; (16728 miles) dead battery, tried to use a Vector 1000 amp jump box, engine turned over several times but did not start, engine continued to crank even after I took my finger off the starter button. Called FCA Road service, Pop-A-Lock came, battery 12.2 v, after engine started, valve clatter and low end knock was prevalent – recorded noise till it started to fade it took two recordings and over 3 minutes (recorded time). Multiple dash ‘idiot lights’ illuminated after truck started; traction control (truck over squiggly lines), collision avoidance (two vehicles, star, w/exclamation and arrow), collision avoidance off (two vehicles, star, arrow and ‘off’), check engine (engine icon), , Auto start, (A in a circle w/exclamation mark) forward radar? (truck over ‘timer or gauge’ w/exclamation mark), Radio screen black, AC mode ‘off’, (always left in AUTO)

July 21st; Not all navigation screen functions are working; Microphone voice command grey, unable to ‘tell’ system what to search for regardless of; engine on, transmission in park, or drive, with the brake on. Keyboard Search function not able to find a specific street address or business name in La Grange, the towns of La Grange, Navasota, or Bryan.

July 21st; sun roof screen not retracting, sunroof not opening, vent not opening, rear window opens, overhead console cab lights come on.

July 21st; Drove to Sterling FCA & showed these July 21 malfunctions /screen errors to service manager Paul, and David Hebb.

Attention: FCA customer care agent Odalys, 1-866-932-3878 extension 4062281, Ram Care case manager for case number 83263224.

Thank you in advance for your concern and attention to these issues,

John Leach

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd replace the battery on my dime rather than going through all that BS.
Tire wear is the Goodyear OEM tire
Re the 12' screen, has the latest update been applied? My UC4 12" has been perfectly flawless since the update, not a single glitch

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Re the 12' screen, has the latest update been applied? My UC4 12" has been perfectly flawless since the update, not a single glitch
I know, and have truly thought about it. The whole issue in my head has now become a matter of principle, and, we all know an OEM batter is only good for three years, it's been that long, so first or second cold front in September or October, should kill it for good. Dealer replaced the radio once, and did an air reboot early June, how do I figure out the update? The more I think about things, the more I think it could be road service using a jump box for starting, and the jolt of stray current created when jump starting causing issues. You know back in the day, I used to keep lights on to prevent blowing engine control modules.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know, and have truly thought about it. The whole issue in my head has now become a matter of principle, and, we all know an OEM batter is only good for three years, it's been that long, so first or second cold front in September or October, should kill it for good. Dealer replaced the radio once, and did an air reboot early June, how do I figure out the update? The more I think about things, the more I think it could be road service using a jump box for starting, and the jolt of stray current created when jump starting causing issues. You know back in the day, I used to keep lights on to prevent blowing engine control modules.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I looked at the list of faults - most I am or have experienced. Thanks BowDown!

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t understand a dealer that will continue to say the battery test good right now. Nothing we can do. Technician should put a battery in the car. Not rocket science. Not sure how their battery testers are but I’m sure it can be fooled to fail the battery. Could be an intermittent draw but putting a battery in it under warranty seems like a first step

Users who are viewing this thread