5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I add this upgrade

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m sure you have all heard this before but I feel like I missed out... I ended up getting a Ram Rebel about a month ago and I love everything about it but I feel like I should have gotten that beautiful 12.1 inch screen.. mine is the 8.4 gloss black bezel with navigation and dual Air condition. I know I’m acting selfish but the 12.1 just looks so nice. My dealership quoted me $4700 for install and labor. I just can’t wrap my head around paying $5000 for just a screen upgrade when that could go towards so many other mods like exhaust l, cold air intake etc. my question is, is it worth it? Is there much difference screen wise and will it really make my truck any different then just the look? Thanks everyone!

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
Definitely not worth it, IMO. Especially with Uconnect5 just around the corner. The 8.4" with nav is very nice.
I forgot I read unconnect5 is coming out, maybe that will be the time to upgrade systems. Thank you for your reply.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd wait and see what is available for UConnect 5 in the next year or two, and then I'd do the work myself, save quite a bit of money. Frequently, dealerships give you huge quotes like that just to make you go away, as they don't want to actually perform the work. Odds are, if you agreed, that they'd perform "research" and then tell you its not possible (even though it is).

nburd

Reaction score
Definitely not worth it, IMO. Especially with Uconnect5 just around the corner. The 8.4" with nav is very nice.
And the 8.4 does not have as many complaints as the 12.1. Just do a search, you may be happy you have the 8.4, Although I agree the 12.1 looks awesome. But looks are not everything.....

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m sure you have all heard this before but I feel like I missed out... I ended up getting a Ram Rebel about a month ago and I love everything about it but I feel like I should have gotten that beautiful 12.1 inch screen.. mine is the 8.4 gloss black bezel with navigation and dual Air condition. I know I’m acting selfish but the 12.1 just looks so nice. My dealership quoted me $4700 for install and labor. I just can’t wrap my head around paying $5000 for just a screen upgrade when that could go towards so many other mods like exhaust l, cold air intake etc. my question is, is it worth it? Is there much difference screen wise and will it really make my truck any different then just the look? Thanks everyone!
The 12” is great, but I agree with everyone else...there are so many better ways to spend $5K.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep, I’d wait, and also, while I love my 12” screen, I gotta tell you, the 8.4” screen is gorgeous in its own regard. It has a higher res than the 12”, making the graphics and camera more crisp.

You also get physical buttons which I prefer btw. That’s the allure of the new F150 infotainment, they have the gorgeous hi-res 12“ screen and physical buttons for the stuff that matters. I hope RAM goes that route on Uconnect 5 on the next iteration.

Cheers,

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not worth 5K to me. But just so you know, you can buy one from infotainment.com for 4k and install it yourself. So you'll save about a grand over having the dealer install one. It's a very easy upgrade to do yourself. Here's a link if you're interested...

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say wait - I am all about electronics and bang for your buck. With that said I am perfectly happy with 8.4 NAV in my Rebel. I do not regret not having the 12 but wish I had a meaner sounding exhaust. THAT should have been standard or an option IMO.

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
I would say wait - I am all about electronics and bang for your buck. With that said I am perfectly happy with 8.4 NAV in my Rebel. I do not regret not having the 12 but wish I had a meaner sounding exhaust. THAT should have been standard or an option IMO.
I agree I might just use that money to buy a new exhaust system, if you have any recommendations let me know!!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely not worth 5K to me. But just so you know, you can buy one from infotainment.com for 4k and install it yourself. So you'll save about a grand over having the dealer install one. It's a very easy upgrade to do yourself. Here's a link if you're interested...
Those are reconditioned units with only a 90 day warranty.

Malodave

Majortom

Reaction score
From what I’ve gathered from these forums, the 8.4 has greater options with regard to apps and vehicle maintenance reporting.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the 12 because I thought it looked great, but if I had the same truck side by side and the 8.4 was $2-3k cheaper I would have gone that route. Honestly, as far as I've found, the only real full screen apps you get are music and nav. Everything else is split screen, and the split screen is meh. Android Auto especially (think it's more AA than Uconnect) is underwhelming. You can't swap which one is on top, you have a very limited choice of apps for the bottom half, can't use Uconnect Nav if you're running AA, etc.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not pay $5k for it. Id buy the stuff yourself and save money if you want it that much. 5k goes a long way.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not worth 5k, however it’s worth the what’s $1200-1300 charge from the factory. I noticed a lot of guys will talk about the problems that the 12.1 has etc etc but there’s still plenty of us that have it and have had zero issues but of course you’ll hear more about the complaints then the positives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeeper

Reaction score
I've had both...I do enjoy the look and bring of the 12" but to be honest the 8.4 was just as functional and nice...most definitely would not pay even $1000 after the fact to upgrade....just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread