5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shock absorber top nut install question

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Anyone know the correct way to torque down the top shock absorber nut on the shock tower? Everyone seems to do it differently.
1. tighten the nut while shock tower is out while spring is compressed
2. tighten the nut while shock tower is out while spring is uncompressed
3. tighten the nut while shock tower is installed and truck is on the ground in its normal state
The torque spec for bilsteins is 34 foot lbs. If you do it while the spring is not compressed you hit 34 lbs pretty quick. If you do it compressed, you could potentially bottom out the threads on the absorber. I tightened it somewhat compressed and used a jam nut from my stock absorber since it seems like the nut wasn't that tight when the truck was resting on the ground.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
You'll only touch that nut to disassemble the strut. It needs to be done while the spring is compressed. Imagine doing it with the spring uncompressed. The assembly is under tension so think about what would happen if you try to take the nut off without removing the spring tension? Likewise the spring needs to be compressed to put it back.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll snug it down a little more being i torqued it with the spring not all the way compressed.

Users who are viewing this thread