5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shark Fin damaged

TheGasMan

Reaction score
I backed the shark fin into my ring camera and now it seems like there is a little bit of play between the roof and the fin when trying to move the fin with my hand. Does anyone know about the fitment of the shark fin and how firm it should be to the truck? Thanks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I backed the shark fin into my ring camera and now it seems like there is a little bit of play between the roof and the fin when trying to move the fin with my hand. Does anyone know about the fitment of the shark fin and how firm it should be to the truck? Thanks.
It should be solid, you may have bent the cab roof metal.

Rams appear to be similar to the Chevy Equinox - I replaced my mom's after a branch hit it.

Screenshot_20240702_183013_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240702_183323_Chrome.jpg

TheGasMan

Reaction score
With not a lot of elbow grease it can shift 1/8-1/4 inch from side to side. Not sure if this helps

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing appears to be bent, looked at it pretty close in good lighting.
Did you already take it off? I didn't notice the slight bend on hers until I had it off. I have a pic somewhere, but it's about a 1" square hole it bolts to (at least on the Equinox - Ram looks to be the same).

TheGasMan

Reaction score
Did you already take it off? I didn't notice the slight bend on hers until I had it off. I have a pic somewhere, but it's about a 1" square hole it bolts to (at least on the Equinox - Ram looks to be the same).
No, it is still attached. Does the head liner need to be pulled to get to the underside of the shark fin? How do you remove it?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Being gentle, I can move it a couple of mm from side to side, essentially the give that the foam has, not a lot of "wiggle" or looseness.

From what I've seen, it's held in place by a screw/bolt at the center. Either that got loose, or something metal got bent.

Here is a good vid that shows the details to accessing the antenna, starting at 5m55sec...

Here is another good video that shows the details to accessing the antenna, however based on fixing a leak, at about 3m49s....

Last edited:

TheGasMan

Reaction score
Being gentle, I can move it a couple of mm from side to side, essentially the give that the foam has, not a lot of "wiggle" or looseness.

From what I've seen, it's held in place by a screw/bolt at the center. Either that got loose, or something metal got bent.

Here is a good vid that shows the details to accessing the antenna, starting at 5m55sec...

Here is another good video that shows the details to accessing the antenna, however based on fixing a leak, at about 3m49s....

Thank you. I appreciate your time.

TheGasMan

Reaction score
Is there a glued weather strip that sits between the roof and the shark fin?

What is the torque specification for the shark fin hardware?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just this thin gasket that's on the fin itself. No idea on the torque, I just tightened it when I put the new one on.

Screenshot_20240703_212147_Chrome.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The outmost gasket around the shark fin isn't really a weather strip, its a gasket to protect the roof from getting scratched by the antenna. There is a small gap in the gasket at the back of the shark fin to drain water out that gets past the outer gasket. Even a basic car wash, you can push on the antenna and see quite a bit of water escaping out of that back hole.

That part that actually protects from water form entering the roof is the square rubber seal that surrounds the center nut.

As for torque spec, that I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread