5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Settings for firmer shifts?

Ramjack

Reaction score
My 2021 5.7 E-torque shifts like a wuss-bag at WOT. It's clearly backing out timing and fuel delivery to make the shifts softer and minimize warranty claims. Are there any settings that change this, such as: tow-haul mode, turning off traction control, setting the gear limiter to 1st gear, or some combination of these? Not interested in having a tune at this time. Thanks.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 gears, 4WD Auto, Tow/Haul, Traction Control off, CAI, aftermarket exhaust. No more wuss-bag shifts. Mine doesn't with that setup anyway.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually it uses the etorque motor to smooth the shifts.

Maybe it does, but can you further smooth an already flat line? The zf shifts super smooth on its own, I literally never feel a shift and most often the only way to tell is by hearing the rpm change.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Maybe it does, but can you further smooth an already flat line? The zf shifts super smooth on its own, I literally never feel a shift and most often the only way to tell is by hearing the rpm change.
The 1st-to-2nd gear shift on mine is not even a "flat line". More like a dropoff.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My non-eTorque motor does the 'smooth as butter' wuss-bag shifts too.
-On one hand it's really freaking nice.
-On the other hand you can tell it's sandbagging the engine and robbing you of serious forward momentum.
It's quite luxurious as long as you're not looking to eek out that F-150, Silverado or Tundra next to you.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually it uses the etorque motor to smooth the shifts.
My dad's eTorque HEMI shifts a little smoother than mine (straight up all-motor "man's" HEMI :whistle: (y)). After driving his ("flat" shift) I notice a slight hesitation between shifts on mine ("smooth" shift).

silver billet

Reaction score
My dad's eTorque HEMI shifts a little smoother than mine (straight up all-motor "man's" HEMI :whistle: (y)). After driving his ("flat" shift) I notice a slight hesitation between shifts on mine ("smooth" shift).

Must be truck specific then, passengers in my truck are unable to detect any shifts if I have the radio on. 🤷‍♂️

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't have some seat time in an eTorque in addition to the 57K miles in mine.

This is by far the smoothest shifting vehicle I've ever had. The eTorque makes it just a tad smoother that most probably won't notice.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just remembered something we used to do to the F-150's. Not sure if it can be done on a Ram, but we would reset the Keep Alive Memory. Handheld tuners would do it, but I believe disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal discharges the residual power and accomplishes similar.

Afterwards, you go drive it like you stole it to get the transmission to relearn how you want it to shift.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My 2021 5.7 E-torque shifts like a wuss-bag at WOT. It's clearly backing out timing and fuel delivery to make the shifts softer and minimize warranty claims. Are there any settings that change this, such as: tow-haul mode, turning off traction control, setting the gear limiter to 1st gear, or some combination of these? Not interested in having a tune at this time. Thanks.
That's pretty much how they're designed. One of the side-benefits of drive-by-wire is the ability to reduce power despite driver input which allowed manufacturers to make transmissions much lighter. I suspect an 8 speed built as tough as an old Turbo 400 or C6 or Torqueflite 8 would end up weighing close to as much as the engine. Learn to live with it.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Turning off traction control seems to help. It certainly doesn't shift firmly, but I've had it "stumble" a couple of times when shifting 1st-2nd recently, which must have been due to traction control. No, it wasn't wet or icy on the roads.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know why mine is a hard pull from the line, but no issues at all, unless you want 60's style shifts in a modern truck.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't firm up the shifts but using tow mode definitely improves the shift strategy for "brisk" driving. It all but solves my kick-down issue when coming to a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread