5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seriously struggling with 5" -> 8.4 upgrade :-/

wmv7766

Reaction score
Hello. I'm having issues upgrading from a 5" to 8.4" screen so I'm hoping you guys have some ideas. First thing I want to point out is I bought two of the same (very similar) 8.4 screen + bezel setups, from different sellers, and the issues are identical. I only bought one radio module though so that's a common denominator.

My truck: 2022 1500 BigHorn with base model 5" screen and basic manual hvac.
First radio Seller's truck and radio: 2022 Laramie 8.4 nav, disassociated screen, single zone bezel w/heated+cool seats, heated steering, two buttons related to traction. *This is the truck that the radio module comes from.
Second radio Seller's truck and radio: unknown truck, 8.4 disassociated screen, single zone bezel. No radio module, only screen + bezel.

Nothing works. The problems happen with both the screen and the bezel controls.

Screen symptoms (applies to both 8.4 screens)
1. No touch response AT ALL
2. Radio locked message, as expected, however the keypad is greyed out anyways and touchscreen does not work anyways, so cant type in the unlock code.

Bezel problems (applies to both 8.4 bezels)
1. Defrost stuck on
2. Full blast stuck on
3. Buttons do not function at all
4. The ONLY button that functions is the emergency blinker.

Interesting details:
1. Turning the hvac airflow knob makes an airflow control popup on the 8.4 screens, however the airflow setting does not actually change as the knob is turned (defrost remains on full blast)
2. Plugging my old 5" bezel in works fine. My old bezel controls function as expected and the settings that pop on screen change as I hit bezel buttons and turn bezel knobs.
3. AlfaOBD test shows both 8.4 bezels as incorrectly having every button "PRESSED". If I press one then AlfaOBD says it is "NOT PRESSED". On the other hand, AlfaOBD shows my old bezel as correctly having every button "NOT PRESSED", unless I press one.
4. I changed the DCSD (disassociated screen) setting in Alfaobd to "Enable".
5. I tested changing the alfaobd setting "Integrated ICS" to disable but then the bezel/hvac just does nothing. No controls popup on screen, bezel controls do nothing at all, defrost is no longer stuck as nothing at all functions.
6. The consistent item across the two setups is the radio module itself.
7. I have tried two LVDS screen cables that were marketed as RAM Uconnect 5 compatible.

I have attached a pic of what the 8.4 screens show at all times.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20240924_102344.jpg
    20240924_102344.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back