5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select Heavy Electric?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Have a ‘21 Rebel, factory ITBM and can’t find the menu to select Heavy electric brakes. Any suggestions? Trailer is 7600lbs loaded and at full gain in light electric the brakes barely grab. My previous truck, 2012 Hemi that I towed with last weekend had no issues at all, and could get the brakes to lock at 7 gain, no choice of heavy or light. Brakes are 8 weeks old and adjusted correctly and have confirmed continuity and full lock when jacking up and applying 12v through the trailer 7way pig tail and voltage through 7 way on truck is ok, amperage seems to be low on truck side, so hoping heavy electric will solve the issue.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Excerpt from owner's manual

4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel until
“TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.
5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter
“TRAILER TOW”.
6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake
Type appears on the screen.
7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN
buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on
the screen.

It goes on to adjusting gain, which I think you know.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Excerpt from owner's manual

4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel until
“TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.
5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter
“TRAILER TOW”.
6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake
Type appears on the screen.
7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN
buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on
the screen.

It goes on to adjusting gain, which I think you know.

Hmm, not letting me select the trailer tow menu with a right toggle, just shows current brake pressure and gain and light electric? Might have to fiddle with it some more next time I hook up.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s in the settings menu, you can’t get to it using the steering wheel controls.

75D71875-CF40-4332-B683-D4751B7479EC.png

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Ok, can’t select heavy/light electric on the gauge cluster screen in my truck. Was able to change the option through the radio settings. All good now.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I guess all trailers are different, my 7600lb trailer seems to operate fine on the light electric at a 6 gain. I haven't tried heavy electric yet, but if you yield good results I might want to try it myself. The manual says heavy is for 10k lbs and higher but that doesn't really make any bit of sense in a 1500.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow my 6700lb camper with the brake controller set to Heavy Electric 3.5 gain. Works well for my trailer.
I tried using Light Electric. Started at 5 but when I got to 9 on the gain and still wasn’t happy I went to Heavy Electric. I was surprised it needed that much gain.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Yes, heavy at gain 4 works well on mine. Light at full gain was overworking the truck bug time and would have been devastating in an emergency situation. I did pull my new brakes and checked adjustment to make sure it wasn’t a brake issue and they were perfect on all four drums, adjusted to drag and then backed off 1/8 of a turn on the star wheel when not engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread