5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seemingly endless problems with 2019 Rebel...I don't know what to do

Av1

Reaction score
I understand your frustration OP. It’s a bad deal all the way around.

I’d unload it, take the loss and lessons learned, buy something else, then move on.

It sucks, but life is too short to stress too much over it.

Good luck.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Years ago I got defrauded by a guy selling a 1 ton chevy with a 400. He had bad rings, not bad enough that it smoked a lot but still bad, it fouled plugs every 3-4K. So he just replaced the plugs before listing it for sale. Also the 2nd fuel tank would leak out in a steady stream….

Naive me didn't think about a compression or leak down test (most people don't) and who would fill the back gas tank to check it?

So I got taken and ended up selling for a multi thousand dollar loss when my mechanic said it needed a rebuild.

It happens. Sucks but thats the used game…

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Years ago I got defrauded by a guy selling a 1 ton chevy with a 400. He had bad rings, not bad enough that it smoked a lot but still bad, it fouled plugs every 3-4K. So he just replaced the plugs before listing it for sale. Also the 2nd fuel tank would leak out in a steady stream….

Naive me didn't think about a compression or leak down test (most people don't) and who would fill the back gas tank to check it?

So I got taken and ended up selling for a multi thousand dollar loss when my mechanic said it needed a rebuild.

I'm thinking I'd have gone with a used engine for a few hundred rather than losing thousands on selling the truck with a bad engine. I don't know how long ago that was but used Chevy small blocks used to be a dime a dozen in my area.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

I'm thinking I'd have gone with a used engine for a few hundred rather than losing thousands on selling the truck with a bad engine. I don't know how long ago that was but used Chevy small blocks used to be a dime a dozen in my area.
That was 2 of about 5 issues he hid. Before OBD2 and not easy to identify.
The alternator was going out so he just charged the battery before I test drove.

It had been repainted and within 3 months rust started appearing on all the typical chevy square body places… both sides.

The main leaf spring on the drivers side was cracked in half and skillfully concealed with a generous amount of spray can undercoating.

The truck was dual fuel, propane and gas, but the propane hoses ended up leaking and one of the two tanks was too rusted (under the paint) to pass the necessary certification.

It went on and on… wasn't worth keeping it and I had no mechanical skills to change out engines.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
So the moral of the story is that sometimes sheeit just happens, especially with cars. Having OBD2 and a scanner really helps nowadays but there are still “cons” out there, or at least troubled vehicles like the OP found out.

Hate to say that it's a “roll of the dice” yet it sorta seems to be.
Id still advocate to get the replaced 48v hybrid battery pack in, get it detailed and sell it.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
If I were you, I would get a Bluetooth / wi-fi OBDII scanner with an android tablet and the software (I have it just can't remember the name, its all over this forum) used to monitor the truck when this is happening. Various graphs and sensors are able to be viewed, not just codes. I solved my air ride issues that the dealer techs could somehow not figure out. These techs now days don’t really do true troubleshooting. Just try to scan a code, throw parts at the wall, and hope it sticks.

To me this sounds like an over/under charging issue and is causing many downstream issues. If voltage is not right in newer systems, that run all digital (no analog anything), it can throw literally everything for a loop. I own an IT company, so ask me how I know.... :) :)

Good luck, likely will need to take troubleshooting into your own hands and spoon feed the dealer. Welcome to the current generation.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck, likely will need to take troubleshooting into your own hands and spoon feed the dealer. Welcome to the current generation.
If you don't know what to look for/at you will just see numbers, graphs, and smiley faces that could be correct, could be skewed data, or normal readings. Not every person knows what to look for/at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online