5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen delaminating?

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
Question for the Uconnect to gurus. My screen started doing this within the last month. I only use Zeiss lens cleaning wipes pictured below.

2019 Bighorn, 32,431 miles all by me. Not sure if something like this is covered by the normal warranty, I did not get the extended warranty this time around.

1b408c907a8ab0e690bb47c396d2b8e9.jpg

1a46aacc141c19ea4e2e049f621ebddf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm I don’t think I’ve seen this before. I am going to say they wouldn’t repair this based on your mileage and if you’ve been using alcohol wipes on it. I typically only use a microfiber cloth to clean mine off, but it also has a tempered glass protector over it. It’s worth a shot to see what they will do for you but it might not get resolved under warranty.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Question for the Uconnect to gurus. My screen started doing this within the last month. I only use Zeiss lens cleaning wipes pictured below.

2019 Bighorn, 32,431 miles all by me. Not sure if something like this is covered by the normal warranty, I did not get the extended warranty this time around.

This is pretty strange. I don’t believe I’ve seen this reported.
Def a defect which should be covered under warranty.

Mother

Reaction score
I've never made mine dirty enough to need to wipe it down with alcohol. A dry microfiber takes dust and fingerprints off just fine.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That looks bad, I haven't seen one like that before. Owner's manual indicates alcohol can be used, though I don't think I would do it on a regular basis
1604964825787.png

SickRam

Reaction score
Looks like the oleophobic coating is wearing off. I just noticed on my 2019 doing the same thing. I’m curious if dealership will replace it under warranty. I only have 19k miles on mine.

Attachments

• C04D5DE8-EC6C-465C-8953-8A7407BCB81C.jpeg
    C04D5DE8-EC6C-465C-8953-8A7407BCB81C.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 62

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
Just dropped it off at the dealer for a look. Also developed a fluid leak yesterday so they are going to keep it for a few days. Waiting for a loaner.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I know it’s a little late now, but a $10 screen protector will stop that from ever happening again. I had one left over for my jeep JL wrangler Rubicon and it fit perfectly on my 8.4 screen. I just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth.

Mother

Reaction score
I have a tempered glass screen protector on mine, mainly because I like the slicker feel of glass. I've always wondered how cleanly it would come off though and if I would find something like this underneath.

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
I know it’s a little late now, but a $10 screen protector will stop that from ever happening again. I had one left over for my jeep JL wrangler Rubicon and it fit perfectly on my 8.4 screen. I just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth.

That wasn’t even something I thought about getting. I have a 2015 Ram with the same screen and had zero issues.

Hopefully it’s covered and I’ll look into the screen cover.

Do you mind sharing which one you have?

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
I have a tempered glass screen protector on mine, mainly because I like the slicker feel of glass. I've always wondered how cleanly it would come off though and if I would find something like this underneath.

Also a good idea that I didn’t think of.

Could you share a link to the one you are using?

Mother

Reaction score

Bearman95

Reaction score
That wasn’t even something I thought about getting. I have a 2015 Ram with the same screen and had zero issues.

Hopefully it’s covered and I’ll look into the screen cover.

Do you mind sharing which one you have?

I got it from Amazon in 2018. It’s a Mopar. I think it was around $10 for two of them in one pack.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI I bought one from theOCDplug (listed on the forum's vendor site) and installed it earlier this week. It's a soft matte vinyl-ish cover that I'm pretty happy with so far

Kondo

Reaction score
Hi All, digging up this thread as I’ve run into a similar situation. Was at a dealer today to attempt a replacement under warranty and they wouldn’t even attempt, insisting that I used a non-approved cleaner on the screen which I can assure has not happened.

I work in IT and have experienced many screen defects and to me this is a problem with the coating. OP, do you happen to have your service notes from when it was replaced? Thinking of going the RAM Cares route...

322fd4c0114ae4c4277373a070d994e9.jpg

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All, digging up this thread as I’ve run into a similar situation. Was at a dealer today to attempt a replacement under warranty and they wouldn’t even attempt, insisting that I used a non-approved cleaner on the screen which I can assure has not happened.

I work in IT and have experienced many screen defects and to me this is a problem with the coating. OP, do you happen to have your service notes from when it was replaced? Thinking of going the RAM Cares route...

Start a case with @RamCares so they can escalate it and take it to the local dealer to start the process.

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score

Mine was replaced under warranty but the new screen started to do it again. I needed up putting a tempered glass screen protector on it to stop it from getting worse.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
You used to see this with older smartphones. I think a tempered glass screen protector is your easiest fix, but if I recall you could use some kind of solution to fully remove the coating.

Sledge1964

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM has this delaminating issue pretty bad. Started as a little bubble on top left of the screen about 1.5 years ago. Now it has progressed to a complete upsides down “U” on the screen. Just left the dealer for service and they quoted me $815 to replace it but advised me to call Chrysler Customer Care. 1-800-334-9200. Listen for the Uconnect prompt. Immediately got connected to a live person. They took all related information, name, address, mileage, service invoice number, service associate name. They assigned me a case manager and case number TO GET THE UCONNECT HEAD UNIT REPLACED!! Case Manager is to call me with 48 hours to schedule with the dealer to get it replaced! I am skeptical until it is done but at least some progress. Dealer said they are seeing these all the time and many customers are successful in getting the unit replaced at no cost. Fingers crossed🤞🏻

Users who are viewing this thread