5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scopes - let the glass shine bright!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can drop a deer with a .22lr with proper shot placement. There are many postsz from people in states that allow it, of harvesting deer with a 9mm carbine.
I’m not saying a 9mm or 22lr can’t kill a deer, because they can. Yes, shot placement is everything.
The states that don’t allow it are just trying to make the hunt successful. Shoot, kill, and find.
I simply would not use a 9mm if legal because I know the external ballistics and terminal ballistics are terrible compared to all other hunting caliber rifles. I also know the perfect shot placement does not happen every time for a million reasons.
I have not lost a deer in a very long time, but it seems that we lose at least a buck a year on my farm every year using high caliber rifles (would be MUCH worse using 9mm). There are quite a lot of hunters, and I require people to shoot their guns every year and check their zero, but losing deer still happens, part of it unfortunately.
I feel confident I can shoot with most, but I respect the deer too much to take a 9mm in the woods. My feelings have changed dramatically hunting, and allowing hunting on my own land and I really hate losing deer. It’s never good, buts it different now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I own several of the moderately priced scope brands, Leopold, SWFA, Vortex, and I have to say the Sig Tango scopes give them all a run for their money in features and glass quality/clarity.

Now let's talk red-dots. Aimpoint or bust.

That said, I do also like my Jesus Acog.

Cgflier

Reaction score
I have a couple zeiss scopes which are very clear and bright. But most of mine are Leupold ranging from a vx1 on a ruger takedown 22 through a very expensive vx7 on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Their customer service is great and so is their glass. I agree the new vx3i scopes are less expensive but the glass is surprisingly good. I put one on my 375 H&H magnum I used for a bison hunt. Very impressed.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a scope, but related.
Ruger is making a Ruger American gen 2 in ranch and standard.
New adj. stock, safety, fluted barrel with muzzle break.

Short actions out now, long actions to come in 24.

Looks nice. Won’t break the bank.

It’s on Ruger site. Some reviews out on u tube.

stevieb92

Reaction score
My fav scope brand is Vortex and my fav model is the Razor Gen III 6-36x56 mrad. For my PRS rig, it never lets me down. The loose nut behind the trigger is the weak link.... lol

PRS Rifle with second barrel.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread