5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sanity check, please, before online purchase?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am looking at my first ever purchase of aftermarket wheels. There are so many variables that it is really hard to find info that exactly matches what I'm doing. I'm hoping somebody knowledgeable can take a minute to look at my plan and tell me if I'm about to screw up.

I'm looking at new wheels and tires.

Helo HE900 20x9 - 0 offset

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 275/60-20

My truck is a '19 Laramie 4x4 with Air Suspension. No offroad group. No lift or level. It came with 22" wheels on it, which I hate and want to go to 20". I would have even considered 18", but I don't want to hassle with the worries about whether they will fit with clearance for the brake calipers. One of my main beefs with the 22s is low tire sidewalls and curb-rashing the wheels on even low curbing. I've done it twice now and it is frickin' embarassing to be driving a full-size 4WD pickup and having it rash out the wheels on those dinky little curbs. I got one wheel just trying to make a tight turn to get through the exit of a stupid inner city parking garage. I think 20" wheels and a little taller tire will give me a worthy improvement.

I was thinking I would get the 0 offset wheels to shift the rim/tire 19mm to the outside. That is 3/4". I think that will look better and I *think* it won't stick out outside the wheel wells/factory fender flares. And I think it won't rub.

Does that sound right?

The tires are 1" bigger (33" vs 32") than stock. I'm thinking that will look a little better and also get my RPMs on the highway down just a smidge (~3% reduction? So, maybe really not even noticeable?).

The wheels are available with an 18mm offset, so they'd be about identical to stock. Do I need to go that route?

Last, are our trucks hub-centric or lug-centric? Do I need to be getting some kind of hub spacer, to make sure the weight of the wheels rides on the hub and not the lugs?

Thanks!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s too bad you aren’t closer as you could then try my 18” wheel / tire combo and see if that would work for you.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be fine. I did the same thing on my 4th gen outdoorsman. The stock 20’s were +19mm. I bought aftermarket 20’s with 0 offset and the same 275/60/20 tire and it was basically even with the factory fender flares. I don’t know if the 5th gen and 4th gen flares are the same but if they are still using a +19mm factory wheel I’m thinking it should be pretty much the same

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with the 0, you'll be happier. 275/60R20 is basically a 275/70R18, which is stock on a lot of trucks. The sidewalls might bulge out past the fender flares slightly, but the tread should be underneath.

TVANVA

Reaction score
I'm running a pretty similar setup on my Big Horn, HELO HE909s, but I bought mine with the optional +18 offset just to be safe. I'd rather have the tires tucked in tighter to help protect the paint from thrown rocks and grit. I'm running 275/55R20 with no rubbing.

Out trucks are hub centric, so you will need a spacer. Many places will throw those into a package deal if you ask.

I changed from 18" to 20", so that changed my speedometer calibration (now 2mph slow), so you will need to be aware of that.

If you are looking for 18" rims, I have my original factory set with 184 miles on them, so virtually perfect. I don't want to ship, but since you aren't that far away, I'll make you a really good deal to take them off my hands.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running a pretty similar setup on my Big Horn, HELO HE909s, but I bought mine with the optional +18 offset just to be safe. I'd rather have the tires tucked in tighter to help protect the paint from thrown rocks and grit. I'm running 275/55R20 with no rubbing.

Out trucks are hub centric, so you will need a spacer. Many places will throw those into a package deal if you ask.

I changed from 18" to 20", so that changed my speedometer calibration (now 2mph slow), so you will need to be aware of that.

If you are looking for 18" rims, I have my original factory set with 184 miles on them, so virtually perfect. I don't want to ship, but since you aren't that far away, I'll make you a really good deal to take them off my hands.
He has a Laramie that has the factory flares. That’s why the 0 offset is the better choice for him if he wants to be closer to flush

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Assuming you got 20x9 wheels, your offset is only 1mm different than factory, and the 275/55-20 tire is the factory size. So, I would certainly expect no rubbing. Not from a 1mm shift towards the outsides of the truck.

Wheel size has nothing to do with speedo calibration. It's the tire size that matters. I think the stock 18" tires are 32" tall. Stock 20" are also 32" tall. So, if the speedo is off, it was probably off before. Regardless, since I am going to a 33" tire, I do plan to ask for the speedo to be recalibrated the next time I have the truck in for service.

Thanks for the offer on the 18s, but I am just not a fan of any of the factory 18" wheels. The only factory wheels that I really would like (and I wish I could find a set) are the 20" "Premium w/Painted Inserts". I think those look pretty sharp. But, I haven't found any for sale. I found a bunch that are almost exactly those, except with bright (chrome?) inserts. Anyway... No worries. I think the Helos, with a little less offset than factory, will work out nicely.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

Done deal. They said I should receive the package on Friday.

I went ahead and paid for new TPMS sensors and told them to mount and balance, so they should arrive ready for me to just unbolt the old and bolt on the new. I figure I'll put the stock wheels in my storage unit and keep them until I'm ready to trade the truck in. I want to trade in for an EcoDiesel in a couple of years (when I have some confidence the kinks are worked out), so I'm thinking I would just put the original wheels back on, trade the truck, and put these wheels I just ordered right onto the new truck.

STR

Reaction score
Big investment takes some research... and second guessing :p. I’ve certainly been there a few times.

Txd33r

Reaction score
If you bought these from custom offset with their preinstalled tpms I would leave your old tires accessible because there is about an 85% chance you’re gonna need your oem ones put in and a credit for those sensors.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you bought these from custom offset with their preinstalled tpms I would leave your old tires accessible because there is about an 85% chance you’re gonna need your oem ones put in and a credit for those sensors.

Nope. I got them from TireRack.com. The truck picked up the new sensors automatically, almost immediately. Like, 1 - 2 minutes.

I took my old wheels/tires over to my storage unit and dropped them off there. That is just right across the street from my house, so only about 200 yards of driving. I didn't check the tire pressure display in the truck before that because, with the old wheels in the back of the truck, I figured I wouldn't know which sensors it was showing, even if it did seem to be working.

After sticking the old wheels in my storage unit and before I got to the exit gate of the storage unit facility, it was showing me pressures from the new sensors.

2020-08-07 11.24.00.jpg 2020-08-07 11.18.49.jpg

dpdsurf

Reaction score
Nope. I got them from TireRack.com. The truck picked up the new sensors automatically, almost immediately. Like, 1 - 2 minutes.

I took my old wheels/tires over to my storage unit and dropped them off there. That is just right across the street from my house, so only about 200 yards of driving. I didn't check the tire pressure display in the truck before that because, with the old wheels in the back of the truck, I figured I wouldn't know which sensors it was showing, even if it did seem to be working.

After sticking the old wheels in my storage unit and before I got to the exit gate of the storage unit facility, it was showing me pressures from the new sensors.

View attachment 65135 View attachment 65136
Very nice, looks great!

Did you need the spacers as mentioned above?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Franky350

Reaction score

View attachment 65135 View attachment 65136

Hey StuartV,

Congratulations on the new shoes. I think it looks great. I am also excited to see that you bought exactly the tires (incl. white letters) we are planning to get. We have a Limited with the oe 22in wheels and want to change mostly for the same reasons you did. We will probably get chromed oe 20 in wheels as we have the painted bumpers and want some accent to it (and we simply like chrome wheels).

My question, how’s the ride quality and noise compared to the oe’s you had before?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice, looks great!

Did you need the spacers as mentioned above?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! I didn't NEED them. But, I got them anyway.

Hey StuartV,

Congratulations on the new shoes. I think it looks great. I am also excited to see that you bought exactly the tires (incl. white letters) we are planning to get. We have a Limited with the oe 22in wheels and want to change mostly for the same reasons you did. We will probably get chromed oe 20 in wheels as we have the painted bumpers and want some accent to it (and we simply like chrome wheels).

My question, how’s the ride quality and noise compared to the oe’s you had before?

The ride is great. I can't tell any difference from OEM. The noise is slightly louder, but it's still a very quiet truck on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread