5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety Chains

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I have a 7k tandom utility trailer i use to haul my utv, the safety chains on the trailer do not work very good with the hoops built into the hitch on the DT, no issues with the older hoops on the 4th gen, has anyone replaced their chains to better work with this design or are you using any sort of adapter or shackle to attach to?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
My flatbed trailer needs a little persuasion getting the chains on but my tandem boat trailer clips right in. Maybe you can change out the end hooks to a larger set?

D_Boosta

Reaction score
Did you find a solution?

I added a hitch to my truck and it extended the distance for my chains to connect to the hitch. I bought some shackles that didn't fit and I am still looking for a fix. The only thing I see so far are these couplers called "hammerlocks"

Ramjett

Reaction score
I am also having problems hooking both trailer and boat safety chains to my hitch on a 2021 Ram 1500.

I have a cylinder lock holding the slide in hitch and have to remove it in order to install the safety chains. I've seen some Ram trucks with carabiners hanging down but they look pretty ugly.

Was thinking about having a couple of hooks welded to the receiver.

Any other solutions???

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread