5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running power inverter off the 12V DC outlet

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie unfortunately was one of the trucks that was neutered at the factory due to "shortages of parts". One of the things that was deleted was the A/C power inverter and associated 115v outlets. Pisses me off, but I suppose it gives me an opportunity to upgrade to higher power than the factory 400 watts.

Question is this: I have been planning to run permanent wiring from the battery to a circuit breaker, and then from there to an inverter somewhere in the truck. Ideally I'd like to go 750W continuous power or greater. However, I won't be using it all the time and now I'm thinking about just buying one of the pre-made wiring setups where I can plug the inverter directly into the 12V outlet on the dash. BUT, if I am doing my math correctly, 750 watts divided by 12 volts is almost 63 amps. No way in hell the 12V outlet will handle that kind of amperage. Sigh.... So what would you guys do? Downsize the inverter? Or suck it up and hardwire the thing to the battery?

Guess I should mention my intended usage. Running a laptop, running battery charger for drone batteries (3 at a time), running an air mattress pump, running a small fan inside the tent when we camp, etc.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess I should mention my intended usage. Running a laptop, running battery charger for drone batteries (3 at a time), running an air mattress pump, running a small fan inside the tent when we camp, etc.
Your in-the-tent stuff brings another option to mind. Have you considered one of those portable "solar" power/inverter packs that can be charged from multiple sources?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your in-the-tent stuff brings another option to mind. Have you considered one of those portable "solar" power/inverter packs that can be charged from multiple sources?

Yeah looked at those. To get enough capacity to do what I need it to do overnight I'd be looking at several hundred dollars. It's an option but probably toward the bottom of my list.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah looked at those. To get enough capacity to do what I need it to do overnight I'd be looking at several hundred dollars. It's an option but probably toward the bottom of my list.
Understand. If you need that much capacity are you also getting into a range where you might have dead battery by morning? So if you need something wired direct to the battery, maybe you also need to consider upgrading to the H8 size battery, which probably also puts you into the several hundred dollars category. If cost is a primary consideration, you may need to downsize inverter and expectations. TANFL 🤷‍♂️

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie unfortunately was one of the trucks that was neutered at the factory due to "shortages of parts". One of the things that was deleted was the A/C power inverter and associated 115v outlets. Pisses me off, but I suppose it gives me an opportunity to upgrade to higher power than the factory 400 watts.

Question is this: I have been planning to run permanent wiring from the battery to a circuit breaker, and then from there to an inverter somewhere in the truck. Ideally I'd like to go 750W continuous power or greater. However, I won't be using it all the time and now I'm thinking about just buying one of the pre-made wiring setups where I can plug the inverter directly into the 12V outlet on the dash. BUT, if I am doing my math correctly, 750 watts divided by 12 volts is almost 63 amps. No way in hell the 12V outlet will handle that kind of amperage. Sigh.... So what would you guys do? Downsize the inverter? Or suck it up and hardwire the thing to the battery?

I picked up one of these from Home Depot and it sounds like it would be perfect for your situation.

RYOBI ONE+ 18V 800-Watt Max 12V Automotive Power Inverter with Dual USB Ports

When you plug it into the 12V outlet in the dash it will give you 120W.
If you use a RYOBI battery irt will give you 300W.
If you hook it up to your Truck battery if will give you 800W.

I have found it be great for camping and also use it around the house.

RYOBY 12V Inverter.PNG RYOBY 12V Inverter Cigarette Lighter.PNG
RYOBY 12V Inverter Truck Battery.PNG RYOBY 12V Inverter Power Options.PNG

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Harbor Freight has basically the same thing for $75. But it is beginning to look like the answer to my question is YES, I will need to hardwire this to the battery.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Harbor Freight has basically the same thing for $75. But it is beginning to look like the answer to my question is YES, I will need to hardwire this to the battery.
Yes, If you want over 120W, you will need to direct wire to the battery. ⚡

Users who are viewing this thread