5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running board hardware help!!

jamjr7411

Reaction score
I just purchased OEM running boards on Marketplace but they did not come with nuts for install. I have a 2021 1500 crew cab Big Horn any idea what nuts I need? Do I need OEM or can I but from Lowes or Home Depot? Material matter (Stainless, Zinc)? Thank you!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should be fine with aftermarket, the bolts on the frame are steel, so make sure you buy something that works well with that.

I highly recommend using a die to clean the bolts. It's super easy, quick and clean. This is the die you need (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), an 8mm - 1.25 size. You simply thread it on, once seated correctly, then use a socket and screw it down, then unscrew. You are left with super clean threads. It was the guys from American Trucks who gave me the suggestion.

Whatever method you use, make sure the bolts screw on easy, like finger twist easy. The specs to torque is only 15 ft-lbs, at least with the OEM boards and bolts. If you don't, you risk over tighten them. But the die above made short work of it. Unless you got a lift, trying to clean 18 bolt threads with a wire brush is a bit of a hassle lying on your back. The die is quicker and cleaner.

Jako

Reaction score
SD Rebel gave good advice. Some of my studs were loaded with paint and I still had problems with a thread chaser and came close to cross threading.
see post 286

beetlespin

Reaction score
Wire brush on a drill will also make quick work of the crusted up threads.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would help ya but I see you are a Patriots fan!...
All is good, I'm just giving you some crap.. Don't worry, my team is not doing so well...

In all seriousness the advice above is good.
I'm about to install aftermarket running boards on my rig. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread!!

6of36

Reaction score
I would help ya but I see you are a Patriots fan!...
All is good, I'm just giving you some crap.. Don't worry, my team is not doing so well...

In all seriousness the advice above is good.
I'm about to install aftermarket running boards on my rig. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread!!
Lions are doing great! :ROFLMAO:

jamjr7411

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I used stainless serrated flange nuts with a lock washer and then a 5/16 washer. Not sure its the best because I have now read not to use a serrated flange nut with a washer. I am going to just replace with a standard stainless lock nut and 5/16 washer. This sound OK?

jamjr7411

Reaction score
You should be fine with aftermarket, the bolts on the frame are steel, so make sure you buy something that works well with that.

I highly recommend using a die to clean the bolts. It's super easy, quick and clean. This is the die you need (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), an 8mm - 1.25 size. You simply thread it on, once seated correctly, then use a socket and screw it down, then unscrew. You are left with super clean threads. It was the guys from American Trucks who gave me the suggestion.

Whatever method you use, make sure the bolts screw on easy, like finger twist easy. The specs to torque is only 15 ft-lbs, at least with the OEM boards and bolts. If you don't, you risk over tighten them. But the die above made short work of it. Unless you got a lift, trying to clean 18 bolt threads with a wire brush is a bit of a hassle lying on your back. The die is quicker and cleaner.
Great advice. Had no issues with the nuts going on smooth but dont thin my nut selection was great lol. Stainless a good choice? I used serrated flange nuts but used with washers which I guess is not best. I am going to replace with standard stainless lock nuts and 5/16 washers. I also did not torqu so I am sure they are too tight. I will fix that.

6of36

Reaction score
Great advice. Had no issues with the nuts going on smooth but dont thin my nut selection was great lol. Stainless a good choice? I used serrated flange nuts but used with washers which I guess is not best. I am going to replace with standard stainless lock nuts and 5/16 washers. I also did not torqu so I am sure they are too tight. I will fix that.
Using washers with serrated nuts, defeats the nut having the serrations. Either use just the serrated nuts, and they should be fine. That is how the factory does it. If you don't like that idea, you can use washers with nylock nuts.

jamjr7411

Reaction score
Using washers with serrated nuts, defeats the nut having the serrations. Either use just the serrated nuts, and they should be fine. That is how the factory does it. If you don't like that idea, you can use washers with nylock nuts.
Thanks that is what I figured. Going to use nylock nuts with washers instead.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think these are the OEM bolts right here, I wouldn't buy 18 of them at this price, but at least a good idea of what is used, essentially an integrated nut/washer, regular nuts and washers should work just fine. The nylock I would worry would have too much resistance when screwing on?

Once you get the bolts clean and these nuts screw on easy, definitely use a little blue lock tight on the bolts and torque to 15 ft-lbs. Unless you do use nylock nuts, as you don't want to use loctite on plastic.

6of36

Reaction score
I think these are the OEM bolts right here, I wouldn't buy 18 of them at this price, but at least a good idea of what is used, essentially an integrated nut/washer, regular nuts and washers should work just fine. The nylock I would worry would have too much resistance when screwing on?

Once you get the bolts clean and these nuts screw on easy, definitely use a little blue lock tight on the bolts and torque to 15 ft-lbs. Unless you do use nylock nuts, as you don't want to use loctite on plastic.

Nylock nuts still have steel for the loctite to work, but not necessary. I have a local nut and bolt supply near me, where I can get just about any fastener for pennies. Just search your area. Last time I bought serrated flange nuts, they were SAE, but were about $.06 each. Even the local hardware stores were about $.30 each.

jamjr7411

Reaction score

I just tackled it today. I ended up just using m8 nylocks with 5/16 washers all stainless. The nylocks did have more resistance than the serrated flange nuts but I went slower, used a little anti-seize and used a hand ratchet. I torqued to 16lbs as the directions I found said 14 +/- 2. No snapping so I am happy about that. I did not like the idea of just a serrated flange nut because it barely covered the hole on the bracket so it was not getting much to bite into and $50 for 18 nuts is crazy. Thanks for the assistance!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I just tackled it today. I ended up just using m8 nylocks with 5/16 washers all stainless. The nylocks did have more resistance than the serrated flange nuts but I went slower, used a little anti-seize and used a hand ratchet. I torqued to 16lbs as the directions I found said 14 +/- 2. No snapping so I am happy about that. I did not like the idea of just a serrated flange nut because it barely covered the hole on the bracket so it was not getting much to bite into and $50 for 18 nuts is crazy. Thanks for the assistance!

Awesome, glad to hear it went well. I got lucky and found a local seller from this message board that had the OEM running boards and the hardware. It was the first thing I did on my truck, rather enjoyed doing it :)

Jako

Reaction score

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread