5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIPP Coil Packs

Smerberj

Reaction score
Goodmorning y'all,

I spoke with RIPP via email last week and they informed me that the 2018+ JL Wrangler coil packs are compatible with the 3.6L Pentastar w/ Etorque. If you haven't heard of these coil packs look them up on YouTube and see how amazing they perform in these V6's they have before and after dynos.

Cheers

Smerberj

Reaction score
Went ahead and finally got a pair of these coil packs. Install was a son of a *****, a bit different than the Jeeps, took me 5 hours by myself but was well worth it. Truck noticeably runs/sounds smoother and has much more pep particularly off the line and during city driving. I didn't notice much of a difference with highway driving other than the truck doesn't down shift nearly as much on smalls grades. Can't say anything for MPG yet because I just installed them on Saturday. Well worth the install and worth the $280 I paid.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Update:

Coil packs still working great! MPG has not changed at all, still sitting between 20.5 - 22 50/50 (Possibly because it's been regularly 40 degrees after my install); however what I have noticed is if the truck is stopped and idling (such as stuck in traffic) my real time mpg does not drop nearly as fast as it did with my old coil packs, this tells me the truck is idling more efficiently. All in all, I recommend them still, I also recommend you have a buddy help you install them. 👍

Jdel427

Reaction score
They definitely help with off the line pep. I also have a larger throttle body, and 22 inch magnaflow muffler.
Hey! First time poster here. Just picked up a 19 1500 bighorn v6. Wanted to know if there’s any reason you didn’t go with a cat-back exhaust vs a muffler? I’ve been looking at the magnaflow street series performance cat-back and wanted to get your opinion. Also getting the afe cold air intake.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
As a technician, I can't understand how their coil packs can improve anything. RIPP promotes their coil packs as a silver bullet, but they don't really explain how it works and why it improves performance on paper. Yes, those coil packs produce a higher current, but it will not result in a bigger spark with the stock spark plug, and even a bigger spark will not make a difference without other changes to the engine. But you may lose factory warranty on the engine because of that upgrade.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Hey! First time poster here. Just picked up a 19 1500 bighorn v6. Wanted to know if there’s any reason you didn’t go with a cat-back exhaust vs a muffler? I’ve been looking at the magnaflow street series performance cat-back and wanted to get your opinion. Also getting the afe cold air intake.
These trucks come with 3 inch exhaust piping, more than enough for our trucks. Also, if you look at your exhaust setup it's relatively straight (minus that god awful mess just after the headers). A highflow muffler is more than enough.

Smerberj

Reaction score
As a technician, I can't understand how their coil packs can improve anything. RIPP promotes their coil packs as a silver bullet, but they don't really explain how it works and why it improves performance on paper. Yes, those coil packs produce a higher current, but it will not result in a bigger spark with the stock spark plug, and even a bigger spark will not make a difference without other changes to the engine. But you may lose factory warranty on the engine because of that upgrade.
I've watched a ton of their videos, from my understanding their coil packs are more powerful and deliver a cleaner spark, thus burning unburnt fuel. The dyno graphs they show in real time seem legit. Coil pack upgrades have been around for quite awhile, even the HEMI's get a good 10+ HP from just a coil pack swap. I can definitely vouch for the power gain, as far as MPG goes, only at idle did I notice a positive MPG increase.

Jdel427

Reaction score
These trucks come with 3 inch exhaust piping, more than enough for our trucks. Also, if you look at your exhaust setup it's relatively straight (minus that god awful mess just after the headers). A highflow muffler is more than enough.
Do you think the magnaflow being a 2.5” would hurt it rather than help it?

Xprodigal

Reaction score
Buyer beware: RIPP Superchargers advertises these coil packs to increase HP and Torque and actually have a video of a 5.7 Hemi Challenger making 20 more HP on a dyno after installing their coil packs or so they claim. I bought a set for my 2019 Ram Rebel (5.7 non-ETorque). I did three 1/4 mile pulls before installation and three after installation. My truck is running .25 seconds slower thanks to that awesome RIPP performance - not. I can't tell any difference in gas mileage - which is another one of their claims. I wrote a 2-Star review and posted it to their website, but apparently, they only show 5-Star reviews of their products on their website. Those 5-Star reviews primarily talk about a performance increase that can be "felt, but I didn't see proof of performance or gas mileage gains. RIPP has yet to return my email about their product not working as advertised or answered why they haven't posted my review. I saw a YouTube video with similar results after installing RIPP Coils in a 3.6 Challenger - his 0 to 60 got worse.

On a positive note, I did notice performance and gas mileage gains on a previous installation of a Vararam cold air intake and it looks cool.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Buyer beware: RIPP Superchargers advertises these coil packs to increase HP and Torque and actually have a video of a 5.7 Hemi Challenger making 20 more HP on a dyno after installing their coil packs or so they claim. I bought a set for my 2019 Ram Rebel (5.7 non-ETorque). I did three 1/4 mile pulls before installation and three after installation. My truck is running .25 seconds slower thanks to that awesome RIPP performance - not. I can't tell any difference in gas mileage - which is another one of their claims. I wrote a 2-Star review and posted it to their website, but apparently, they only show 5-Star reviews of their products on their website. Those 5-Star reviews primarily talk about a performance increase that can be "felt, but I didn't see proof of performance or gas mileage gains. RIPP has yet to return my email about their product not working as advertised or answered why they haven't posted my review. I saw a YouTube video with similar results after installing RIPP Coils in a 3.6 Challenger - his 0 to 60 got worse.

On a positive note, I did notice performance and gas mileage gains on a previous installation of a Vararam cold air intake and it looks cool.
I’m considering new coils for a future mod. Did you increase the gap in the plugs as well?
SOS coils have shown dyno improvements too. Coils tested by Motortrend
SOS coils claim to be 40kv coils vs RIPP at 27kv and OEM at 26kv.
SOS coils for the 3.6 are 35kv vs OEM at 25kv.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread