5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse whine

Alex11501

Reaction score
Just bought a new to me 19 bighorn with the v6. Truck has 28k and i have been noticing a whine when i go in reverse. Not sure if normal. If anybody has input i would appreciate it!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Just bought a new to me 19 bighorn with the v6. Truck has 28k and i have been noticing a whine when i go in reverse. Not sure if normal. If anybody has input i would appreciate it!! Thanks

Is your significant other with you when this happens?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Engine or transmission whine? I hear cars/trucks do that all time and have always assumed it has something to do with gear ratios and/or transmission configuration. I've never heard of it being a problem though.
If it's from the engine compartment it's probably whine from the electric motor (eTorque) doing whatever it is that it does.

Alex11501

Reaction score
Engine or transmission whine? I hear cars/trucks do that all time and have always assumed it has something to do with gear ratios and/or transmission configuration. I've never heard of it being a problem though.
If it's from the engine compartment it's probably whine from the electric motor (eTorque) doing whatever it is that it does.

Transmission and only in reverse, i know honda especially does it in reverse but not sure about ram

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How fast are you going? Very common for vehicles whine in reverse with minimal speed.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I've never heard it from my Ram (or any of them that I've had over the years), but then I don't typically reverse very far so when I do it's slow.
If you've got a long driveway or something that you're reversing down quickly that may do it. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this, but since I've heard it with other vehicles I don't think I'd be too worried. Of course, I'd still like to know if it was my truck so I'm sure you do too.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I’ve heard reverse whine from every vehicle that has ever been driven backwards near me at more than 5kph. Typically don’t hear it at really low speeds.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Typically most autos will whine in reverse due to the cut of the gears they use for reverse, essentially a cheaper straight cut spur gear which is cheaper to produce and makes sense for a gear you rarely will use.

However, I never noticed it on my RAM, but I typically reverse very slowly. I'm sure if I do it fast, I will hear it.

lvpall

Reaction score
just bought my 2019 ram 1500 with the etorq in reverse mine wines that is normal.

19jds76

Reaction score

Mine has made that sound since day one (bought it new), I have almost 44k miles and never had an issue so I am of the opinion its normal for it to make that sound when in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread