5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax or Truck cover USA?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I'm going to have the ramboxes, selection is a bit limited. I'm debating between these 2 retractables. Anyone have an opinion of one over the other? I know I don't want a trifold or full hard cover, but open to other options.

I've only had one tonneau cover, EVER, so I'm probably not the best person to provide advice. BUT my Retrax RetraxPRO MX 80244 Tonneau Cover ROCKS! GREAT design, love the ability to open/lock in multiple positions and it has a terrific lifetime warranty. You may experience some very minor water leak issues, but usually fixed via some silicone+weather stripping. The attached doc may help and answer some questions should you opt for the Retrax. Good luck!

Attachments

I've only had one tonneau cover, EVER, so I'm probably not the best person to provide advice. BUT my Retrax RetraxPRO MX 80244 Tonneau Cover ROCKS! GREAT design, love the ability to open/lock in multiple positions and it has a terrific lifetime warranty. You may experience some very minor water leak issues, but usually fixed via some silicone+weather stripping. The attached doc may help and answer some questions should you opt for the Retrax. Good luck!
That pdf is awesome! Thanks! Ramboxes and MFT will be on mine as well. I think I like the retrax, no strap and more options to stop the cover, instead of every 12 inches.

That pdf is awesome! Thanks! Ramboxes and MFT will be on mine as well. I think I like the retrax, no strap and more options to stop the cover, instead of every 12 inches.
You are wlecome and the info w/i the doc came from @Snicklefritz_76 who posted his experiences w/ this cover. Enjoy your truck and your bag of chips!

You are wlecome and the info w/i the doc came from @Snicklefritz_76 who posted his experiences w/ this cover. Enjoy your truck and your bag of chips!
Thanks @RickWaz!

I've had my RetraxPRO MX for over a year now and I love it. It's been holding up great and seems like a great value. I messed up the weather striping on my tailgate while loading a lawn tractor but luckily I had enough extra laying around to replace it. The 3M adhesive I originally used didn't hold up very well so I used black Flex Paste this time around.

So far it's holding up really well and seems like a better product than the 3M one. I only get water in the very back of the bed and that's only during an intensive car wash.

Thanks @RickWaz!

I've had my RetraxPRO MX for over a year now and I love it. It's been holding up great and seems like a great value. I messed up the weather striping on my tailgate while loading a lawn tractor but luckily I had enough extra laying around to replace it. The 3M adhesive I originally used didn't hold up very well so I used black Flex Paste this time around.

So far it's holding up really well and seems like a better product than the 3M one. I only get water in the very back of the bed and that's only during an intensive car wash.
Haven't had mine that long OR in too much rain. But thus far, w/ a little extra weather-stripping, the cover is nearly water-proof. Thanks again for your assist w/ my cover. And many others have appreciated the PDF that I made using YOUR posts! Take care and be safe!

Only problem with a canister retractable is lost bed space. Pros are security.

That's a very good point and I have run into that issue. The Retrax canaster/rails can be removed fairly easily and I did it in about 5 minutes. Reinstalling it was just as easy, since my cover in "broken in" it went back on without any additional adjustment.

Of course, if you don't have a place to store the cover that could be an issues!

Haven't had mine that long OR in too much rain. But thus far, w/ a little extra weather-stripping, the cover is nearly water-proof. Thanks again for your assist w/ my cover. And many others have appreciated the PDF that I made using YOUR posts! Take care and be safe!
You too sir! Blessings to you and your family.

Ditto with Snicklefritz_76. I usually have more than enough space with what I typically carry. There's still some room to put a few small items under the canister. And "popping out" the cover is easy-peasy. For me there are far more advantages with this cover than others, even with the loss of some bed space. I also have a 15' tandem trailer IF I really need cargo space. BUT the canister "issue" could be a deal breaker for others.

I have the TC USA cover and its been pretty good so far. I needed to buy my own, thicker weather stripping for it near the cab of the truck because the one they provide is to thin and it leaked heavily in that area. Also, the lip at the tailgate end is so small and interferes with the inner tailgate cover so it will leaks there (minimal) as well and there isn't much you will be able to do about it. Canister is pretty small and for me it actually works well because some storage bins I uses for fit snugly right under it. Not the easiest to remove on your own though. Area highlighted in RED Interfere. I didn't have the drain tubes installed in this photo.

IMG_0480.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0466.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back