5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing my shell

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
So by removing my shell I will gain a good amount of load for a future travel trailer. Problem is, I don't have any garage ceiling space for a hoist and I haven't found another solution. Anyone have any good ideas other than a ceiling style hoist to remove it?

Thanks,
Doug

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So by removing my shell I will gain a good amount of load for a future travel trailer. Problem is, I don't have any garage ceiling space for a hoist and I haven't found another solution. Anyone have any good ideas other than a ceiling style hoist to remove it?

Thanks,
Doug
Depending on where you live or where you got it, you might be able to just have it pulled and stored there. My local one will take the shell off and put it back on for you for a fee, and store it there while you don't need it (don't know if there's a time limit).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You could try a pair of jacks used for slide-in campers or something macgyvered. The latter would be much cheaper.

Are those real? They look like something someone put together in an afternoon in their garage using tubular steel and angle iron. And a couple boat trailer winches. I'm not sure I would trust that to be very stable. Doesn't look like there is any way to attach them to whatever you're lifting.

I just use 3 friends and a pair of sawhorses - remove clamps, carefully walk back off bed and place on sawhorses for storage.
Funny you said that. The website that's selling those camper jacks are also selling these, $324 for heavy-duty saw horses....

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Serious question. How much do shells weigh these days. We have an old one on a 1996 longbed that isn't terribly heavy, but a friend just got one for a shortbed F150 and he said they told him it was several hundred pounds--even though it's about 2.5' shorter.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Serious question. How much do shells weigh these days. We have an old one on a 1996 longbed that isn't terribly heavy, but a friend just got one for a shortbed F150 and he said they told him it was several hundred pounds--even though it's about 2.5' shorter.
I was told by the dealer approx 250 lbs. That is a big chunk to eliminate to add to my capacity. I really didn't think it was that much.

Users who are viewing this thread