5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Mirror Caps

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
Bought some painted mirror caps to replace the tacky looking chrome ones on my limited. Anyone have tips or tricks to getting them off clean without breaking the glass?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Additional info

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
Switched them out. Not too bad of a job. Used a little heat to the mirror itself and slapped on a suction cup dent puller and pulled till it popped off. Could use a second pair of hands to help get the hooks out for the cap removal. Looks 1000 times better.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Yes sir. I just replaced my turn signals on the mirrors with sequential ones. Used a dent puller to pop off the mirror glass as you mentioned. There is a torx screw to take out and then you just easily push in the tabs to pop off the mirror cover.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Yes sir. I just replaced my turn signals on the mirrors with sequential ones. Used a dent puller to pop off the mirror glass as you mentioned. There is a torx screw to take out and then you just easily push in the tabs to pop off the mirror cover.

This sounds like something I would like to do. What part number did you use for the sequential turn signals? Did you need additional/different wiring for them to work? Last but not least, which dent puller did you use? I looked locally and they all seemed too big to fit the mirror.

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
This sounds like something I would like to do. What part number did you use for the sequential turn signals? Did you need additional/different wiring for them to work? Last but not least, which dent puller did you use? I looked locally and they all seemed too big to fit the mirror.
I got my dent puller from harbor freight $5

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand heating the mirror up to remove. It just pops right off, no need for heat. Used a screwdriver on mine. Just have to tilt the. All the way down and make sure the tip of screwdriver is close to the clips in center of mirror

Flot

Reaction score
I also found this to be pretty easy - tilted mirrors all the way down, put some painters tape diagonally across the mirror body so I didn't accidentally pull the mirror all the way out and damage the wires... put my fingers behind the mirror and also applied light pressure with a 2" suction cup and they both popped off with zero drama.

Ironically enough, I broke one of the clips off the cap, but the mirrors were aok. Replacing both took about 15 min.

Users who are viewing this thread