5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovery gear advice - Alternatives to a permanent winch

U

User_21361

Figured I would update on the journey. Long story short, I got stuck

I was on a fire road going about 45mph and rounded a bend to find the backside of the mountain I was on had snow despite it being 90 degrees the day before. I slammed the brakes and managed to stop a few feet in. As someone above posted, a front mounted winch would have been useless since the snow went on for at least 300 more feet. So I started digging. Took about 45 min of digging, tire chains and recovery boards to get out. It was a great learning experience.

One thing that was interesting is that I specifically didn’t use the high lift because I was worried about the weight. The truck was going down hill and I worried about breaking the hilift.

Some changes I am making. I’m looking heavily at a portable winch. Specifically I want one mounted on a hitch plate so I can use it mounted or pull it off and mount it to an anchor to pull me. The big question here is power. I’m debating wiring up the winch to the truck using Anderson clips that I can just leave disconnected. I could also just use jumper cables. The other option is carry a second smaller battery when I carry the winch. I would love to hear what has worked for folks that have done this before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread