5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for brand of mechanical locking rear differential advice.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea I verified with my truck.
2WD - can only partially disable
4WD Auto OR 4WD High - can go ESC partial off or full off with toggle switch.

I don’t know a good reason to FULLY disable the ESC in 2WD, the partial disable disables the wheel braking and power reduction. From what I’ve read, there is NO more disabling

This makes more sense to me.
And you would disable ESC in 2WD if you were doing a dyno, or tune or something of that sort. Anything that can reduce torque\HP when you are trying to tune\measure it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can partially disable in 2wd, but holding the button down longer does nothing. The TazerDT will fully disable in 2 or 4 wd. Personally, I wouldn't pull a fuse.
Yea I verified with my truck.
2WD - can only partially disable
4WD Auto OR 4WD High - can go ESC partial off or full off with toggle switch.

In not pulling a fuse or suggesting that is a good idea either. I don’t know about the TazerDT thing, or know it does more disabling.

I don’t know a good reason to FULLY disable the ESC in 2WD, the partial disable disables the wheel braking and power reduction. From what I’ve read, there is NO more disabling of wheel braking and power reduction, only disables other functions or the ESC system such as Automatic Emergency Braking System, Adaptive Cruise Control, and a few others that are not coming to mind but you might want on.

Unless serious off roading in 4WD, I see no reasons for ESC FULLY Disabled, unless I‘m not thinking of something else.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once again, just using the traction control buttons without any other device such as TazerDT, does not fully disable TCS/ESP. First push reduce traction control, allowing the wheels to spin. Holding it down in 4wd reduces traction control and ESP. but does not completely disable.

TazerDT will fully disable TCS/ESP and the only way to get them back in is to turn off the truck and let it reset for a few minutes.
What more functions of the ESC you are talking about “fully disabling” with the TazerDT that going to ESC Full Disabled with ESC toggle in truck wont do?

I know you say so, but please give a reference please.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This makes more sense to me.
And you would disable ESC in 2WD if you were doing a dyno, or tune or something of that sort. Anything that can reduce torque\HP when you are trying to tune\measure it.
Or when in 2WD needing both rears to spin without auto braking or power reduction such as mud, snow, ice, sand, burnouts, and don’t want to use 4WD.
Also, when I say snow or ice, I’m talking about low speed stuff, driveways, getting unstuck, not getting stuck, etc. situations. High speed on road I recommend ESC fully Enabled even in 4WD auto.

You earlier talked about fully disabling the ESC system with the TazerDT or something else.
I would recommend NOT doing that because there is some great systems you would disable for on road driving even in slick conditions.

In fact, unless doing serious off roading in 4WD, ESC fully disabled is not needed, or even required then.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or when in 2WD needing both rears to spin without auto braking or power reduction such as mud, snow, ice, sand, burnouts, and don’t want to use 4WD.
Also, when I say snow or ice, I’m talking about low speed stuff, driveways, getting unstuck, not getting stuck, etc. situations. High speed on road I recommend ESC fully Enabled even in 4WD auto.

You earlier talked about fully disabling the ESC system with the TazerDT or something else.
I would recommend NOT doing that because there is some great systems you would disable for on road driving even in slick conditions.

In fact, unless doing serious off roading in 4WD, ESC fully disabled is not needed, or even required then.
I use my TazerDT to fully disable the nannies when playing off-road, or in the snow in parking lots. Also when at the drag strip and I don't want any power being pulled for wheel slip. Not al daily driving, I would never teun it off

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What more functions of the ESC you are talking about “fully disabling” with the TazerDT that going to ESC Full Disabled with ESC toggle in truck wont do?

I know you say so, but please give a reference please.
There is no "full disable" when only using the button in the cab without the TazerDT. And ESC isn't even reduced until you do a long push when in 4wd. A single push in 2wd or 4wd only reduce traction control. It's been that way since Dodge/Ram first started using the TSC button. There's a reason there is an option within hand held tuners and devices like the TazerDT for doing a full disable. If the factory button did it, then aftermarket devices wouldn't need to have it
And the TazerDT also kills ABS

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no "full disable" when only using the button in the cab without the TazerDT. And ESC isn't even reduced until you do a long push when in 4wd. A single push in 2wd or 4wd only reduce traction control. It's been that way since Dodge/Ram first started using the TSC button. There's a reason there is an option within hand held tuners and devices like the TazerDT for doing a full disable. If the factory button did it, then aftermarket devices wouldn't need to have it
And the TazerDT also kills ABS

Wrong

ESC IS reduced with a single push in 2WD OR 4WD. Braking and Power Reduction (Traction Control) which is part of the ESC system is disabled.

Also you CAN fully disable the ESC system with the toggle switch by holding down till get ESC Fully Disabled. That disables the other safety features of the ESC along with the Traction Control.

I know you think just because there is an option in DazerDT to disable, that means obviously the truck ESC toggle can’t fully do it. I have not read ANYTHING to back up what you are saying, and you so far can’t find any references... so yea. If you can find something besides your “always been that way“ opinion, I would like to see it and learn.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong

ESC IS reduced with a single push in 2WD OR 4WD. Braking and Power Reduction (Traction Control) which is part f the ESC system is disabled.

Also you CAN fully disable the ESC system with the toggle switch by holding down till get ESC Fully Disabled. That disables the other safety features of the ESC along with the Traction Control.

I know you think just because there is an option in DazerDT to disable, that means obviously the truck ESC toggle can’t fully do it. I have not read ANYTHING to back up what you are saying, and you so far can’t find any references... so yea. If you can find something besides your “always been that way“ opinion, I would like to see it and learn.
I guess I can flip the script and say if you an find any documentation to support your opinion, I would like to see it

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I can flip the script and say if you an find any documentation to support your opinion, I would like to see it
I can and will show what I have read about ESC partially and fully disabled with toggle. Standby, got to get some grub on.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m just going by what I have read and what my truck tells me. However,
I do wish more and greater detail was written in our manuals. I have read a little more detail in an older manual I can’t pull up for some reason but said the same with a little more detail.

Attachments

• 35AD9071-896F-41B0-8E4D-E922394DE95C.jpeg
    35AD9071-896F-41B0-8E4D-E922394DE95C.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 36CBDAD8-5F4D-4E45-868F-609F95E7C4AC.jpeg
    36CBDAD8-5F4D-4E45-868F-609F95E7C4AC.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 6807071B-4D08-42CA-9FBD-0517E94A49F1.jpeg
    6807071B-4D08-42CA-9FBD-0517E94A49F1.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0EC9E6F1-D562-4E01-8E8D-AEB3F0661042.jpeg
    0EC9E6F1-D562-4E01-8E8D-AEB3F0661042.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 9F73BCBB-C8C8-40B9-BD69-ACF0743E6906.jpeg
    9F73BCBB-C8C8-40B9-BD69-ACF0743E6906.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 19

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holding it down for 5 seconds has NEVER worked for me. I can only hit it once and it still stays partly enabled.
I have a 22 Limited with anti-slip diff and awd transfer case for reference.
Since you can’t get ESC full off:

I didn’t mention before. Truck running, stopped:
THEN put in 4WD High or 4WD Auto, 1 ESC toggle push (TC OFF Message), press and hold ESC toggle till get (EAB ESC OFF Message) for ESC fully disabled.

Also, I’m curious to see if you can go 4WD Low because truck automatically goes to ESC Full Off when it shifts.
Try truck running: shift to N, (don’t mess w ESC toggle during this process)
4WD High, then 4WD Low. Will get messages like I posted.

Since you can’t get the truck to go ESC Full Off with toggle, curious to see if truck can shift into ESC Full Off when you shift into 4WD Low OR can even go into 4WD Low.

Attachments

• 34C95EAF-60DE-4EB3-86D4-B747D8C5BD98.jpeg
    34C95EAF-60DE-4EB3-86D4-B747D8C5BD98.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 41A08578-CA2A-49E3-8054-19CB6305CA7B.jpeg
    41A08578-CA2A-49E3-8054-19CB6305CA7B.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1D3891FF-6A4F-4DFF-A70F-6994705EE8A5.jpeg
    1D3891FF-6A4F-4DFF-A70F-6994705EE8A5.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 64131875-F334-4303-B48D-D8F75B694C7D.jpeg
    64131875-F334-4303-B48D-D8F75B694C7D.jpeg