5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. TRX Front Bumper differences

myejeep

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone trying to swap Rebel/Laramie/whatever with TRX Bumpers. The rebel and TRX front bumpers are not the same, but very similar. The main differences are the closeout panels on either side, they are flared out a little more, and the TRX has holes cut in the side of the metal section of the bumper where the larger TRX flares cover. I ran into this issue trying to use a TRX bumper on my rebel because mine was scratched up pretty good and I wanted to replace it (used TRX bumper was all I could find locally for a reasonable price). After swapping the TRX side closeout panels with Rebel ones I am stuck with these big holes on the side that are a bit unsightly. Trying to come up with a solution by putting amber lights behind the holes or something to that effect.

TL;DR:
This is a TRX bumper with Rebel closeout side panels, the Rebel side panels don't reach wide enough to cover the holes used to mount the larger TRX side panels

unnamed.jpeg

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps you can have a cap 3D printed to cover the holes

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

myejeep

Reaction score
Perhaps you can have a cap 3D printed to cover the holes

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
That would be an awesome solution, however, I live in a pretty rural area, not many folks around me have the equipment to do something like that.

bobgnarley

Reaction score
Have you considered going all in and getting TRX flares? That’s what I want to do with my Rebel and in my research, what led me to this thread.

Ilmmct

Reaction score
@myejeep did you find a solution to the TRX side flare unsightly cutouts issue? I am considering the TRX front bumper swap for my Rebel.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m throwing out ideas with this and showing a progression of options from most to least labor intensive:
1. “Shave” it, meaning it will be filled in and welded closed, then smoothed over with a little filler and painted.
2. Take a piece of plastic (or metal if you’re feeling adventurous) bumper/ body material, cut it in a rectangle making all edges look clean, paint it (a rattle can of body match would work ok here), put it over the holes, then air weld it to a backer through the stock holes.
2. Find something odd like a led strip or marker from another vehicle and install it over the holes. It doesn’t need to be exact, just kinda match to overall curves and angles of that bumper area. Here’s an example to kick off your search. I’m not saying it will fit, but it may jumpstart that train of thought in your mind. Who knows, you might find something random like a 2005 mustang clear marker light fits perfect (for example)

Ilmmct

Reaction score
@djevox thanks for ideas. Would the side flares from the TRX cover the holes @myejeep reported? And also sit flush and meet the contour of my Rebel that I’d like to install a TRX bumper on?

Attachments

• C3F05396-6B2E-4C53-A6C1-C0A17E766E07.jpeg
    C3F05396-6B2E-4C53-A6C1-C0A17E766E07.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 28

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@djevox thanks for ideas. Would the side flares from the TRX cover the holes @myejeep reported? And also sit flush and meet the contour of my Rebel that I’d like to install a TRX bumper on?
I don’t know, and my answers just general brainstorming based on past experience building custom vehicles. I’d have to have the parts in front of me to make a determination. That being said, anything could be made to work with enough effort.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@myejeep did you ever get this bumper installed? Besides the side flare issues, I am curious how the rest of the bumper bolted up.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m throwing out ideas with this and showing a progression of options from most to least labor intensive:
1. “Shave” it, meaning it will be filled in and welded closed, then smoothed over with a little filler and painted.
2. Take a piece of plastic (or metal if you’re feeling adventurous) bumper/ body material, cut it in a rectangle making all edges look clean, paint it (a rattle can of body match would work ok here), put it over the holes, then air weld it to a backer through the stock holes.
2. Find something odd like a led strip or marker from another vehicle and install it over the holes. It doesn’t need to be exact, just kinda match to overall curves and angles of that bumper area. Here’s an example to kick off your search. I’m not saying it will fit, but it may jumpstart that train of thought in your mind. Who knows, you might find something random like a 2005 mustang clear marker light fits perfect (for example)
i saw a trx that had marker lights mounted on the side

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i saw a trx that had marker lights mounted on the side
I believe they’re with 68274659AA (that’s drivers side and passenger side might be a different number), but I don’t know for sure.

Going back to the OP mentioning they are thinking about putting a light behind the holes, that might look good if one long rectangle was cut out of the three small ones. It would still require some paint at a minimum though.

Users who are viewing this thread