5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel towing, v8 camper

jdl440

Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting a small camper trailer.
How far would you feel was safe to tow in one day?
Would it be advisable to tow a trailer 2000 miles in a few days?
What kind of concerns should I have?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There really isn't any limit on how far you could go towing other than yourself (driver fatigue). If you were planning to go that far I'd for sure have a full tool kit, jack, and spare tire for the trailer. Also check your tire pressures often, and make sure you have a good road side assistance plan.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I agree.

I'd worry about the trailer tires and bearings and driver fatigue more than anything on the pickup.

A lot of times trailer tires are really small, so they have to turn two or three times for every revolution of the truck's tires. Tell me that doesn't heat things up!

Camping without a trailer I find that 4 or 5 hours is as much driving as I care to do in a day. Breakfast, then dishes, then pack up to leave puts you out at 9-10 AM. That gets you into the next campground by 2, so you have time to relax and look around before dinner and darkness. Nobody likes the guy who pulls into the campground at 9 PM. And spending all the daylight hours behind the wheel is hardly a relaxing trip.

Users who are viewing this thread