5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel towing springs

Reaction score
I just picked up a 22 rebel to replace my 2012 longhorn.

On the hemi longhorn I added tufftruck progressive springs in the rear for payload increase also added the 5100/5160 bilstein. It towed a 4000 lbs flat deck trailer.
What options are available for the rebel to increase payload?
I do see hd springs from carli and tuff truck. I do plan to upgrade the shocks to 5100/5160 bilstein to level the front.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since this place seems to be a cricket factory. I will leave my findings here.
Bilstein 5100 front 2" lift
Bilstein 5160 rear with carli hd springs is now planned.

I received a email back from Carli suspension and their HD springs.

"They’ll likely lift the rear 2-3” but they will certainly help with hauling.

Regards,

Customer Service & Tech Support
Carli Suspension
596 Crane St. | Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
(888) 992-2754"

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
from my understanding on the way payload is rated on these vehicles (not just ram, but vehicles in general), the payload is limited to the frame & axle combination of safe max weight capability. changing the suspension to a heavier duty (let's assume for a 1 ton) don't really increase the ram 1500's payload. it might handle better & sag less compared to stock suspension with a ton of weight on the bed, but your frame & axle might be screaming for help!!

have i maxed out the payload on my stock truck? "no comment"

but like i said, that's the way i understand how the max payload is rated. i could be wrong.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
from my understanding on the way payload is rated on these vehicles (not just ram, but vehicles in general), the payload is limited to the frame & axle combination of safe max weight capability. changing the suspension to a heavier duty (let's assume for a 1 ton) don't really increase the ram 1500's payload. it might handle better & sag less compared to stock suspension with a ton of weight on the bed, but your frame & axle might be screaming for help!!

have i maxed out the payload on my stock truck? "no comment"

but like i said, that's the way i understand how the max payload is rated. i could be wrong.
Agreed. The payload and GCWR are fixed at the factory by option packages. Check the door sticker, and that is the rating. Can you crowd it, sure, but use at your own risk.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any consideration to air bags or bigger bumpstops?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Timbren makes some progressive bump stops if you don't want to lift the rear. Several air bag options, but I love my Timber Groves. They did lift the rear unloaded when sitting at 5 psi (minimum needed), but I actually liked that so I could keep a bit of rake. I've towed 9k with the Timber Groves and no sag.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm planning to upgrade from Airlift 1000's to Timber Grove. That would be my recommendation. You can add stiffer springs and have a harsh ride all the time or air up the bags when you need to overcome sag.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
rebels sits a little higher than other 1500s & as much as i like this truck, i hate how much the back sags with the bed loaded (I've loaded 800 lbs - 10 bags of concrete) & I'm looking at the sky (exaggerated)

i think airbags are the easiest & convenient way to assist & help minimize that sag, but initially, i didn't want to spend too much & i didn't want to deal with leak possibilities even though some have used one for decades without issues. if i knew how much i was going to end up spending, i would've gone the air bag route & taken my chances with the air leak.

I'm using a modified blue sumo springs for everyday driving & i use black sumo springs for when loaded. this has worked well for me with 1 inconveniences of swapping it as needed, worse was when we went camping & had to swap it on muddy ground & it looked like i lost in a mud wrestling. on black springs, with 1000 lbs (approx) on the back, the truck squatted about 1.0 inch front & 1.5 inch rear.

20201211_235126.jpg
stock oem

20210107_152732.jpg
when new (before something chewed on one of the sumo springs in one of the camp sites). normal driving (unloaded) on this is noticeably firmer but bearable.

20210425_152921.jpg
blue trimmed both sides (& remove the teeth marks)

20210427_182210 (1).jpg
normal (unloaded) driving on this is NOT recommended, unless u want to see ur passenger in the back with WTF faces when u hit a bump. it is a very rough ride!

20210425_153049.jpg
i welded the bolt to the bracket so i can swap the sumo springs as needed.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
rebels sits a little higher than other 1500s & as much as i like this truck, i hate how much the back sags with the bed loaded (I've loaded 800 lbs - 10 bags of concrete) & I'm looking at the sky (exaggerated)

i think airbags are the easiest & convenient way to assist & help minimize that sag, but initially, i didn't want to spend too much & i didn't want to deal with leak possibilities even though some have used one for decades without issues. if i knew how much i was going to end up spending, i would've gone the air bag route & taken my chances with the air leak.

I'm using a modified blue sumo springs for everyday driving & i use black sumo springs for when loaded. this has worked well for me with 1 inconveniences of swapping it as needed, worse was when we went camping & had to swap it on muddy ground & it looked like i lost in a mud wrestling. on black springs, with 1000 lbs (approx) on the back, the truck squatted about 1.0 inch front & 1.5 inch rear.

View attachment 149276
stock oem

View attachment 149277
when new (before something chewed on one of the sumo springs in one of the camp sites). normal driving (unloaded) on this is noticeably firmer but bearable.

View attachment 149280
blue trimmed both sides (& remove the teeth marks)

View attachment 149278
normal (unloaded) driving on this is NOT recommended, unless u want to see ur passenger in the back with WTF faces when u hit a bump. it is a very rough ride!

View attachment 149281
i welded the bolt to the bracket so i can swap the sumo springs as needed.
I have the same experiences as you. I can't stand to ride empty even with the blue, with ORP (supposedly, on window sticker) and Sumo spacer. The sumo engages about 1/4" at normal ride height???? Great idea on welding the bracket bolts, I'll have to use that.

I may remove the spacer and put a small taper on the end of the sumo and run airlift 1000s to level.

Reaction score
I tend to keep my vehicles for 10+ years.
I have never had a positive experience with load assist airbags and eventually they will leak.
I have no experience with jounce spacers, but did consider them and will eep them in mind.

Anyone have experience with the Dobinsons C16-053V? Up to 500lbs and 2" lift? They would keep the stock rake after I put in the front 5100s for leveling. Price point is reasonable at $250

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tend to keep my vehicles for 10+ years.
I have never had a positive experience with load assist airbags and eventually they will leak.
I have no experience with jounce spacers, but did consider them and will eep them in mind.

Anyone have experience with the Dobinsons C16-053V? Up to 500lbs and 2" lift? They would keep the stock rake after I put in the front 5100s for leveling. Price point is reasonable at $250
Those coils sound like they'd be stiff as hell when unloaded. Ride quality would be terrible. For what it's worth I had Airlift bags on my Titan for 4 years before getting the Ram. Timber Groves on the Ram for 2 years so far. I plan on giving this truck to my now 6 year old when he turns 16 if ICE's are still viable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those coils sound like they'd be stiff as hell when unloaded. Ride quality would be terrible. For what it's worth I had Airlift bags on my Titan for 4 years before getting the Ram. Timber Groves on the Ram for 2 years so far. I plan on giving this truck to my now 6 year old when he turns 16 if ICE's are still viable.
It is a truck, not a princess mobile! I grew up driving real trucks from the 70's and 80's, not the current trucks geared towards city dwellers.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ride quality matters in a half ton, which is why Ram is killing it lately.

And I suspect it matters to you or you’d have bought an HD and this thread wouldn’t exist.

All options bring compromise somewhere.

Stouter springs don’t leak but are change ride quality at all times.

Air bags preserve most of the ride quality but might develop a leak.

There’s no magic product available yet.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online