5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Tailgate Occasionally Stuck Closed

ST4T1ST1C

Reaction score
On occasion, my tailgate gets stuck and won't open. I need to apply "upward", pressure in order to release the latch, basically lifting the tailgate up ever so slightly. It is not a dirt/debris issue as far as I can see as the truck is relatively clean (other threads referenced dirt/debris). Just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this. Perhaps remove the loosen the tailgate, attempt to reposition, then torque back down? It only happens every now and again, I can't cause it to happen every time.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On occasion, my tailgate gets stuck and won't open. I need to apply "upward", pressure in order to release the latch, basically lifting the tailgate up ever so slightly. It is not a dirt/debris issue as far as I can see as the truck is relatively clean (other threads referenced dirt/debris). Just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this. Perhaps remove the loosen the tailgate, attempt to reposition, then torque back down? It only happens every now and again, I can't cause it to happen every time.
Quite a few have or have had similar issues. Some have cured it with a minor adjustment to the latching stud.

ST4T1ST1C

Reaction score
More or less what I am planning on doing. I am not about to goto the dealer and have them have the truck for hours only to tell me they can't duplicate the issue.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More or less what I am planning on doing. I am not about to goto the dealer and have them have the truck for hours only to tell me they can't duplicate the issue.
All the new group of mechanics and dealers can do is what the computer tells them to do when they plug it in and replace the parts. They really can't FIX anything.

kliffy77

Reaction score
I remember going camping with my Rebel, The bed was full of my camping gear when I arrived the tailgate wouldn’t open i tried doing everything its just stuck then i started pushing it hard forward direction and suddenly it opened.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
If the stud adjustment doesn’t do it, go to a body shop over the dealer. They have more experience with adjustments like this and may have some tricks up their sleeve. They may even do it while you wait for something like this.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Every once in a while, I will attempt to unlatch and it will not open. A slight push forward and it pops open. 2019 with a little over 50,000 miles.

ST4T1ST1C

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's responses. Pushing the tailgate slightly forward while releasing the latch seems to do the trick.

bobgnarley

Reaction score
Mine does it constantly, but a little forward pressure always gets it to release on the first try. Pretty sure the right-side latching stud is the culprit, but I've been too lazy to fuss with it. I'll go adjust it now and report back after I'm done.

bobgnarley

Reaction score
There's a plastic sleeve that "floats" around the stud and the right side had more abrasion/gnarls than the left. I took a rasp to it and reduced the circumference by ~1mm and that seems to have done the trick – it released 20 times without a hitch. I'll give it a couple weeks and report back to see if that truly solved the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread