5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rearend clunking

etorquehemi

Reaction score
Have 2021 ram 1500 big horn 5.7 etorque.
At different speeds taking my foot off the gas pedal then hitting the gas I get a clunking from the rear end.was told today that this was normal.its caused by the mds -msd.kicking in an out.i have 78000 miles .bn doing this since bout 45000 miles.i can not get a dealership to correct the issue.
Any explanation or if someone can escalate this problem. Thk u for ur time

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At different speeds taking my foot off the gas pedal then hitting the gas I get a clunking from the rear end.was told today that this was normal.its caused by the mds -msd.kicking in an out.i have 78000 miles .bn doing this since bout 45000 miles.i can not get a dealership to correct the issue.
Well, if you want to test the MDS theory, just disable it and see if it still happens. You do that buy hitting the gear change button on the steering wheel. You should enable the eco and the selected gear displays in the cluster.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you have the limiter slip, that could be your source and if so would likely be normal behavior.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck, 2023 Laramie, also does this when letting off the gas. Sometimes it's significant. Doesn't happen all the time either. Just whenever it feels like it.

Users who are viewing this thread