5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window smashed

Snakes709

Reaction score
So came out to the truck last week and my rear driver side door was shattered. Glass was still held together from the tint and bowed out and impact was at the very top by the seal. Looks like someone tried to pry it open from the top, it broke, alarm may have went off and they took off running. Good news is its only $145cdn to replace. Bad news is none in canada and only 23 are out for distrubution with no eta. They said maybe in 3 weeks they may know when some will arrive in canada but no clue where.

Was told to contact a shop that deals with used busted vehicles. They claimed to have one, asked 3 times if it was for a 2019 1500 crew cab. They said yes 3 times. Drove 3 1/2hrs to get it, arrived and it was for a 2018.

Next morning he confirms he has one for a 2019, confirmed with my vin. face timed him today and sure enough, wrong one again. The shoes didnt match. Got a refund from them no issue and called a glass company who said they can get one within a day. Sent them my vin and a picture of the shoes that came out of my truck and will find out in the am if its the right one.

Only 2 windows i can find that are for sure for my truck are in Colorado Springs and Sandy Utah. Im in Edmonton Alberta, so thats abit of a stretch to get it. Just want my baby fixed. 64CC9A25-5047-4B6C-83FC-CA22DDC4A03B.jpeg 64CC9A25-5047-4B6C-83FC-CA22DDC4A03B.jpeg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh wow I am really sorry to hear this and definitely sorry someone tried to violate your personal property. That’s one of my pet peeves with these vendors. I verify, reverify and then check again and they still get it wrong.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Oh wow I am really sorry to hear this and definitely sorry someone tried to violate your personal property. That’s one of my pet peeves with these vendors. I verify, reverify and then check again and they still get it wrong.

Yea im beyond pissed about the shop getting the wrong window. When I first asked about it he said “i have a 2018”. Told him the gens changed and the window is longer on the 2019’s. He called me back saying he had one for a 2019 crew cab. I asked him if he is sure, he said yes. It would be a day or two before he could get it out of his yard. Get a call monday saying i can pick it up. Asked again if its for a 2019 ram 1500 crew cab, rear left tinted window. And said i would hate to drive all the way there for nothing. He said yes, its for my truck. Im currently upgrading my math so i had to miss a day of school, drive 3 1/2 hours, use over a half a tank of gas.....all for nothing.

From what this other glass shop is teling me, there was a change in parts, most likely the shoes between the 2019’s that were manufactured in 2018 and the ones manufactured in 2019.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Before I go anymore to pick up parts, I have them send me photos. I once made a shop send me a photo with the current newspaper next to it before making the drive out. Nothing annoys me more then wasting my time because you didn’t do your homework.

Rich51

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. I came out about 2 weeks ago to find the exact same window shattered. I called safelite and they wanted $500 for glass and install. I then called my dealer and they got it within 5 days for $170 USD. I was happy to get it all done. I didn't see how they attempted to get in but glad they didn't get in.

Snakes709

Reaction score
The glass shop in Calgary (3 1/2hrs away) called me yesterday. They confirmed the one they can get is the correct one, varified by pictures of my existing shoes and measurements plus vin number. Said it would be in today, ill make the drive there tomorrow to pick it up and install it myself. I alread have the door disassembled. Just sucks driving down the highway with plastic on my window, so damn loud.

Users who are viewing this thread